How To Deal With Sulfide Allergies

Sulfide is a component that is present in many products we use. Sulfide is most commonly present in hygiene products which we all use. These products can be of various kinds such as shampoos, soaps, conditioners, toothpaste, detergents and so on.

Sulfide is also commonly used in the production of pharmaceutical products.While making many things such as ointments, tablets, and many other products which are manufactured for medical purposes, the use of sulfide is quite common. Another area where there is an extensive use of sulfide is the manufacturing of processed food products and beverages.Food products and beverages which are processed have preservatives and other chemical substances present in them which have sulfide as an ingredient.

About The Occurrence Of Sulfide Allergies

The presence of sulfide in all these products makes it difficult to avoid coming into contact with it. Hence it becomes difficult to avoid sulfide for those who are susceptible to sulfide allergies. A sulfide allergy has various symptoms and can lead to fever, vomiting and so on.

There is little chance of anyone avoiding the use of sulfide products which help in personal cleanliness and care unless they use products which are entirely natural and also eating food that is not processed in any way. Therefore, avoiding the use of products that contain sulfide would mean restricting yourself to the use of certain specific products which are not only limited in number, but are also difficult to find and expensive. Thus, the possibility of suffering from or contracting these allergies can not be ruled out. The following article will talk about the ways in which you can deal with sulfide allergies.

Experiencing Sulfide Allergies

Photo Credit: Gazetavv.com

A person who is suffering from a sulfide allergy is likely to experience discomfort in a number of areas. Firstly, these allergies can cause a variety of respiratory problems such as asthma, breathing troubles and so on. For people who are already suffering from respiratory problems, the increased exposure to sulfide is likely to make matters worse.

Secondly, many people are allergic to certain chemical substances which are applied externally on the skin. One such substance is sodium metabisulfite. This substance is commonly used in many medical and conventional drugs. Hence, people who are prone to sulfide allergies are advised to take these drugs orally to reduce the possibility of the allergy.

Symptoms Of Sulfide Allergy

There can be many symptoms of sulfide allergies. However, the most common and easily identifiable symptom of a sulfide allergy is an itching sensation in your skin. A sulfide allergy is known to cause a constant and irritating itching sensation on your skin. Since your skin can itch because of many reasons it is quite possible that you may confuse the cause of irritation and not realize that it is being caused by sulfide allergies.

The best way to determine whether the itching is the cause of a sulfide allergy is to note if the itching increases in intensity. If the itching is because of a sulfide allergy then there will be a burning sensation on your skin after the itching and the area that is affected by the allergy will become filled with rashes making the skin more sensitive to itching. As the sulfide allergy spreads and increases your throat will begin to swell. This is another way of identifying the presence of sulfide allergies.

Along with the swelling in your throat, you are also likely to experience a lot of fatigue and tiredness. There will be an increasing sense of lethargy after doing normal amounts of work. The fatigue is also likely to lead to muscle strain which will increase with every movement of your body and you may find that you are unable to do simple chores. Besides these symptoms, there are some symptoms of sulfide allergies which are secondary to the ones already mentioned.One such symptom is the lack of concentration in doing things. If you are suffering from a sulfide allergy you would find that you are unable to concentrate on the work that you do and the attempts to concentrate will be followed by a feeling of tiredness.

Photo Credit: Tingoc.com

Secondly, a sulfide allergy also leads to brittle nails. If you find that your nails break easily and are not hard and strong, then chances are high that you are suffering from this allergy. Since the symptoms of sulfide allergies are usually similar to the symptoms of other diseases, it is very easy to confuse these symptoms with those of other diseases. Hence, it is very important to diagnose this allergy properly. The diagnosis of the allergy is done after carrying out some specific tests which determine whether the symptoms that you are facing are indeed caused by sulfide allergies.

Dealing With The Sulfide Allergies

There can be many ways of dealing with sulfide allergies. Firstly, for people who are diagnosed with this allergy, it is important to avoid certain food products and medications that contain sulfide. This is because for people who are already suffering from a sulfide allergy, the additional intake of sulfide through various products will aggravate the situation further. Secondly when you are diagnosed with sulfide allergies, it is important that you keep a check on the products that you consume. Since avoiding many products that contain sulfide may be very difficult, you should keep a check on the amount of sulfide that you consume.

Normally, the amount of sulfide that is permitted for consumption by people who are diagnosed with this allergy is around 10 parts per million. Also fruits and vegetables which contain sulfide should be consumed in limited amounts. Thirdly, in cases where the sulfide allergies in a person are quite severe, there is the need for medical treatment. This treatment is usually in the form of taking epinephrine. However, you should be careful to note that the epinephrine is taken intravenously. Finally, another way of dealing with sulfide allergies is by taking sodium metabisulfite in calculated amounts. While this substance can cause sulfide allergies, if taken in specific amounts, it can help in dealing with the allergy.