Importance of iron, calcium and proteins for toddlers

The babies grow up at a lightning pace around 3 inches in about 3 months while the growth of toddlers is reasonably slower, around 4-5 inches in a year. Though the growth rate slows down among toddlers, nutrition remains a main concern. It is around this time when the baby tries to be independent by trying to eat and drink by him.Proteins: Leaving alone water, protein makes up around three quarters of our body. It is found in each and every cell. Our muscles, organs, hormones and certain anti-bodies and enzymes are all made up of proteins. Meat fish, egg and pulses are rich in proteins. This group of food provides the baby with essential iron and omega-3 fat.

Proteins form the main structure of the body as when the babies are growing, they require plenty of protein, which is essential for the development of the body. Breast milk has enough proteins needed for the growth and maturity of the baby’s body. When the breast milk is replaced by table food, toddlers need around 13-19 grams of protein per day, Dairy products, poultry, soybeans are also excellent foodstuffs of proteins.

Calcium: Calcium is one of the most significant and precious elements in the human body. Calcium is crucial in building strong bones and teeth. Plenty intake of calcium in the first ten years of a kid’s life prevents bone breakage as a kid and osteoporosis when the children grow older.

Milk is the good basis of calcium. 99% of calcium is originated in kid’s bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is in the blood. The children require calcium all through their lives, especially during their period of growth. The toddlers don’t necessitate milk in particular but the calcium and Vitamin-D present in the milk is vital for the growth of strong bones in the body.

Iron: Iron is a nutrient that is necessary for making hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying element of red blood corpuscles. Iron is an indispensable part of most proteins and enzymes that keep up good health. Deficit of iron among toddlers leads to fatigue, poor work and decreased immunity of the body.

On the contrary, excess iron can lead to toxicity and even deaths. Kids around 7 to 12 months old need 11 milligrams of iron each day while toddlers around 1-2 years of age need 7-10 milligrams of iron in everyday life. Hemoglobin has almost 2/3rd iron of the body. Small amount of oxygen is found in myoglobin, a protein which helps supply of oxygen in muscles. It has been commonly found that young athletes, who regularly practice intense exercise, often tend to lose more iron and require the intake of extra iron in their diets.



This entry was posted in Diet.