The most important risk factor for heart disease is the high cholesterol. If you are over 25 years of age you should be careful about your cholesterol levels because your body’s ability to fight off bad cholesterol decreases as you become older. In order to prevent health complications arising due to excess bad cholesterol in your body you must consume foods that are low in bad cholesterol. Given below are some low cholesterol foods.
– Vegetables are low in calorie content; hence are regarded as the healthiest food group among the other groups in the food pyramid. A diet that includes high quantity of vegetables can maintain low cholesterol levels as they are low in total fat and saturated fat and contain no cholesterol. You may prevent plaque formation and increase good cholesterol by consuming vegetables such as celery, broccoli, kale, onions, spinach, tomatoes, green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes and green beans.
– Similar to vegetables, fruits too are amongst the top food groups that lower cholesterol. Fruits contain very low calories. Oxidation of LDL cholesterol i.e. bad cholesterol is prevented by fruits such as grapes, apples, cranberries and citrus fruits. You should consume fruits along with their skin to get the maximum benefit.
Grains And Legumes
– Grains can effectively lower cholesterol level due to its high dietary fiber and energy content. You can lower your cholesterol level by consuming whole grains, potatoes, brown rice, oats, cereals, pasta, whole wheat breads, and other grains. Legumes including peas and dry beans are low in saturated fat and calories.
Lean Meats, Fish And Poultry Substitutes
– Lean chicken/ turkey and lean red meats are loaded with vital nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, protein and micronutrients. They fight off bad cholesterol effectively. Most fish are also included in low cholesterol foods as they are likely to be low in saturated fat. You can eat some types of shellfish and shrimps.
Milk, Yoghurt And Cheese
– Good low cholesterol foods also include fat-free and 1 percent milk. This is due to the fact that they contain more calcium and other nutrients than whole milk but contain less cholesterol and saturated fat. You can eat low-fat or nonfat yogurt and low-fat, reduced-fat or fat-free hard cheese.
– No cholesterol is contained in egg whites.