7-up cakes were popular since 1950s and can be made in three different ways, a pound cake, a three layer torte and a sheet cake. 7-up pound cake is made from scratch and the lemon juice and the presence of 7-up make this cake airy and light. This cake has smooth texture, good taste and color, hence this cake doesn’t even need an icing.
Making a lemon 7-up cake is moderately easy
- Preheat the oven at 325 degree F with an oven rack kept in the center. Get one and a half cups of softened unsalted butter, two and a half cups of sugar, five large eggs, two teaspoon lemon extract, three cups all-purpose flour, ¾ cups 7 up and powdered sugar for dusting.
- Take a ten inch bundt pan or tube pan and the batter for this cake in dense tube or bundt pan helps the batter to cook thoroughly. Tube or bundt pan also provide a surface for the cake to cling when it expand as there is no leavening agent in the cake other than 7-up. Apply nonstick cooking spray in the pan followed by a dusting of flour even if you are using a nonstick baking pan for making cake.
- In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar till it makes a fluffy, light and smooth mixture. Thereafter add eggs to the butter mixture one after another. Add the second egg only after mixing the first egg well with the butter mixture and similarly add all the five eggs. Combine this mixture with lemon juice and mix well till the entire batter attains a uniform consistency.
- Mix one cup of flour with the butter egg mixture and beat the mixture till the entire flour mix well with the batter. Thereafter add quarter cup of 7-Up to the batter and stir the contents till 7Up blends well with the batter. Continue this step till the entire flour and 7-Up is used up.
- Transfer the smooth and well blended batter to the baking pan and bake the cake for one hour and fifteen minutes. Do not keep the batter for long before baking as 7-Up which helps the cake to rise will go flatter with time. Hence transfer the batter as soon as you finish the mixing.
- After baking check the cake to make sure that it is cooked well and to check the level of cooking presses the cake gently and a properly cooked cake will bounce back or insert a toothpick in to the center of the cake and the toothpick comes out without the batter sticking to it. If the cake does not get baked properly, then bake it for some more time and recheck for proper baking.
- Take out the cake from the rack and cool it at room temperature on another wire rack for fifteen minutes. Once it is cooled well, turn the pan and take the cake out. Drizzle a little lemon juice on top of the cake and dust the powdered sugar over it and serve the cake hot.