Pita chips are extremely popular Mexican snack that goes very well with dips and sauces. It is a better and healthier choice to serve as compared to potato chips or any other fried snacks. Baked pita chips are even healthier and taste excellent with hummus, tahini and salsa sauce. They are an ideal spread to be served as an evening snack just before the dinner.
Baked Pita chips can be easily prepared at home with basic pita bread. Store bought pita chips are expensive on pockets and are not fresh and hygienic too. Here’s an easy recipe to bake Pita chips to complement with hummus or any dip of your choice:
- To make Pita chips you need Pita bread loaf or pita pockets, olive oil, oregano, pepper, garlic salt, basil leaves and baking trays and sheets. To begin the process cut the pita bread into eight triangular pieces neatly with a scissor. Arrange the pita triangles on a baking tray and preheat the oven at 350 degree F.
- In a separate bowl mix olive oil, oregano, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Use a small and soft brush to apply this mixture on the pita triangles by coating them nicely with the oil mix. Now grease the baking tray with some olive oil. You can also use a spray for this purpose. Arrange the bread pieces evenly in tray and put them inside the oven to bake.
- The pita chips will take approximately 5 to 7 minutes to bake. However, keep looking at the signs of complete baking so that you do not burn the bread chips inside. Baked pita chips should be light brown, crisp and golden in color when completely done. Take the tray out of the oven and let the chips cool before storing them in an airtight container.
- The baked Pita chips can be served in a plenty of interesting ways. Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese and basil and you get the perfect Italian flavor in your chips. These chips also go very well when served with tabouleh and other salads. Apart from these suggestions, pita chips taste wonderful with hummus and can be had anytime of the day.
- Recipe of Hummus to be served with Pita chips: Grind presoaked and pre boiled chickpeas along with a few pods of garlic and tahini paste(white sesame seeds paste) in a grinder to a smooth consistency. Add some lemon juice, drizzle with olive oil, salt and seasonings and your hummus is ready to be devoured with pita chips you baked just now. The hummus can be stored in the fridge for a long time and pits chips too can be stored in an airtight container to be used later as per the convenience.
- Recipe of salsa to be served with Pita chips: Grind two tomatoes, one onion, few garlics, olive oil, tomato ketchup, together in a blender and sprinkle some oregano, salt and pepper. Your bright red raw salsa dip is ready for you to dip your pita chips into it. However, if you are do not have a fancy for the dips and sauces you can always munch on plain pita chips. They taste just fine when eaten plain salsa starter or with salads.
Photo Credit: Kiboomu.com