Children imitate the behavior of their parents and other adults they meet. If parents have positive relationships with their children, it helps the children to be positive themselves when they are older.
Whether you are tired of the old “yelling” routine when your child misbehaves, or are wondering how to be positive with children, you will find it interesting to read this article.
- Research has shown that using positive affirmations can help a child overcome or cope with problems like learning disabilities, social anxiety, low self-esteem and more. Use positive affirmations to make your child feel better about himself/herself.
- Positive affirmations like complimenting your child on his/her work by saying things like “You draw very well” will give a tremendous boost to his/her self-esteem.
- Use positive disciplinary techniques when disciplining children. Understand that it is due to lack of knowledge and inexperience that children make many mistakes. They are not being “bad” on purpose or with any ulterior motive in mind.
- While it is important to correct children when they make mistakes and guide them, disciplining them in a positive way can be more effective than using negative terms like “Stop doing that!” or “Don’t touch that!”.
- In order to be positive with children, you should reinforce positive behaviors by praising your child whenever he/she does something that is good or achieves something.
- If you only strive to correct your child’s incorrect behavior and neglect to compliment him on his good behavior, then it is likely to have a negative impact on your child’s self-esteem and overall development.
- A child, who is always corrected and never praised, may feel that he is inherently “bad” and will likely make no effort to be “good”. Corporal punishment is simply unacceptable, especially if you wish to develop a truly positive relationship with your child. One whack or a spanking session is enough to ruin a positive relationship.
- When you are angry with your child use “time out” to calm the child down and get some space for yourself. You need to be calm when handling an angry or screaming child. It is not easy to be calm during such a situation, but by sending the child to his/her time out spot, you and the child get a chance to control your feelings.
- In order to be positive with children, it is important to understand that you have to set the example. If your child sees you arguing all the time and swearing, it will not help your child develop a healthy and positive mind.
Tips and Warnings
- Try to spend enough quality time with your child. A little of your time will make your child feel appreciated, wanted and loved. Children need attention. If you pay attention to them when they do good things, you will soon discover that they will no longer strive to gain your attention by doing things that are inappropriate.
- Avoid laughing when a child tells you about something that he/she takes seriously. Try to remember what it was like when you were a child, and with comforting words, allay the fears or answer the questions of your child.