Blinds accumulate lot of dust and dirt over time. Blinds need to be cleaned periodically so that they remain clean and dust free. Blinds can be a little tough to clean. However, by following effective cleaning techniques you can easily get rid of the dirt and grime on the blinds in your home. This article has step-by-step instructions on how you can clean blinds at home.
- To clean blinds, turn the blinds so that they are opened and the convex side faces the room. With a dry dust cloth wipe away any visible dust or dirt from each of slat of the blinds.
- Now, using a slightly damp dust cloth, wipe the blinds on both sides. If only wiping the blinds is not good enough to clean the blinds thoroughly, consider removing the blinds and soaking them in water.
- To do this, remove the blinds from the brackets. If your blinds are located at a height, use a ladder to reach them.
- Prepare to clean the blinds by filling your bath tub with lukewarm water. Ensure the water is not too hot or your blinds may get damaged. Add a few caps of dish washing detergent to the water to prepare a cleaning solution for the blinds.
- Soak the blinds in the bath-tub for a while and after this begin cleaning the blinds by scrubbing each slat with a soft brush. You can hold several slats together and clean them with a soft brush.
- Ensure you are gentle while handling the slats of the blinds or else they may get twisted or damaged. You may need to repeat this process several times to completely get rid of dirt and grime.
- Rinse the blinds several times with clean water so that all soap water and any remaining dirt gets washed off. Dry the blinds in sunlight or air dry them. Ensure the blinds are dry before you re-fit them.
- Maintain your blinds clean regularly by wiping clean any dirt or dust particles. Never use chlorine or bleach to clean blinds as this may cause rust and irreversible damage to the blinds.