There is nothing quite so frustrating as talking to someone who thinks he is God’s gift to mankind. But then it takes all kinds of people to make a world. Since we are social beings and come into contact with a variety of folk every single day, we have to figure out the best way to communicate with them.
You may be working with them or studying with them or just sharing a seat on the bus. Arrogant people can be very difficult to deal with. They have little faith in other people’s abilities and even less respect for their feelings. Having said this, it might seem impossible to cope with them but there are a few ways to go about it that won’t leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.
- Don’t be intimidated by anything he does or says because he wants to see you cower and feel low. Stand tall and look him in the eye and treat him as an equal. You have no reason to buckle under pressure from someone who clearly cannot think sensibly.
- There is no sense in avoiding arrogant men or women. They are frustrating and often impossible to deal with. Always stand your ground when you are up against them.
- Arrogant people behave like complete know-it-alls. Let them know what you have to say and let it go after that. They often fail to recognize good advice and prefer to do only what they want. In the long run, they suffer for it.
- People who act high and mighty seldom have many friends. Often when you cut through the layers, you will find them insecure and lonely. You may end up feeling sorry for them but that does not mean they can behave anyway they choose. Don’t be sympathetic or vindictive. Maintain a neutral stance.
- If you feel confident enough to talk to them and ask them to tone it down, go ahead but be ready for a verbal barrage if it comes to that. Who knows, maybe they will see light, in which case it is a good idea to give them time to change. Explain to them the benefits of working together and the need for getting along for a bigger cause. If you have similar goals, you can stress on how important it is to keep relationships positive and supportive.
- Arrogant people can be irritating, talking down to you all the time, treating you like you’re incompetent. It’s hard to ignore this kind of interference, so just ignore the person in question and pretend not to be bothered by him. He will eventually realize that you can’t be shaken and will spend less time bothering you.
Tips and Warnings
- Don’t try to be his friend but don’t be his enemy either. Treating him as shabbily as he treats you will only reinforce his bad attitude.
- Don’t knock yourself out trying to impress someone who is clearly full of himself. Dealing with arrogant people requires confidence in oneself so that no one can belittle you.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]How To Cope With Arrogant People,