If your child is a great fan of pirates like Long John Silver and Captain Jack Sparrow, you might be interested in decorating his or her bedroom using a pirate theme. However, pirate themed bedrooms are not just for kids, you can design one even for grown-ups! For instance, a real classy pirate themed bedroom would be ideal for anyone with a nautical career or someone who is considering one.
You can purchase ready-made décor from craft stores etc, or you can go the DIY route and create a pirate themed bedroom using your own creative skill. You can also choose to decorate the bedroom using pirate movie merchandise! The following instructions will show you how to create a pirate themed bedroom.
- Consider the room’s walls and windows, there is a lot you can do with those blank spaces (the walls become your canvas!). For the basic background, you require a lot of blue, grey, brown, white paint and other colors based on your design. Paint the walls in gradational shades of blue, taking care to ensure you have an “ocean” and a “horizon”. You can also use lighter shades of blue, grey, and white to create a cloudy sky (choose whether you want a stormy looking sky and ocean or a relatively calm and sun-bedewed scene).
- Painting a ship with full sails (Don’t forget the Jolly Roger!) on the walls is also a good idea. You can also add in seagulls, treasure islands and more to your wall décor. You could also purchase or create your own murals based on the pirate theme.
- The windows of the bedroom can be modified and decorated to resemble portholes. A couple of wooden swords on the wall would also add a nice pirate touch. Using pirate movie posters, stickers and motifs of the Jolly Roger flag, miniature ships, parrots with eye-patches and pirate headscarves (for kids), etc, on your walls and ceiling is a cute way of accentuating the pirate theme.
- When it comes to the bedroom furniture, you could purchase nautical and pirate themed furniture or modify and create your very own pirate themed furniture. A nice bed in the shape of a ship, complete with bows, a figurehead, sails, mast with a little crow’s nest and topped with the Jolly Roger would be ideal for a child. Another idea includes having a bed with the headboard decorated with a figurehead and a ship’s wheel at the other end. You could also incorporate a large and decorative compass in your designs.
- Purchase or make pirate themed treasure chests in which your child or teenager can store toys, and other paraphernalia. A nice chest of drawers, wardrobe and table and chair decorated with seashells, starfish or with a treasure map design, etc, would be a good idea.
- The bedroom linen should also complement the rest of the pirate theme décor. A treasure map or island bedspread, an undersea-wreck bedspread, or plain bed linen in blue would also add to the pirate atmosphere of the room. Make sure the curtains match the bed linen or complement them.
- A blue carpet or wooden floorboards would complement the rest of your pirate themed décor. The use of accessories like adding fishing nets in the room to store toys or simply for decorative purposes, pirate themed lamps, and other paraphernalia, will make this pirate themed bedroom unique.
Tips and Warnings
- If you add a rope or wooden ladder to the Crow’s nest, make sure it is not too high and maybe add some cushions or other bedding below as a safety precaution.
Photo Credit: Decoblog.ro