One of the strangest feature of pregnancy is the strong food cravings women feel when they are expecting. A lot of theories, science and logic has been discussed every where, regarding these cravings that crop up only at the time of pregnancy and die their own death once the baby is delivered.
Not all the cravings are bad, but some of them are extremely unhealthy for the mother as well as the baby and may cause serious health and hormonal disorders during pregnancy. A lot of theories suggest that the cravings are body’s sign to show that there is a demand for certain nutrition.
This is one of the prime reason women give in to these cravings for the sake of the baby’s health and well being. Controlling these cravings is a tough task but there are certain ways to curb them to an extent so that they do not harm the body and general health during pregnancies. Here are a few tips to curb pregnancy cravings effectively:
- The first step to deal with pregnancy cravings is to take small frequent meals many times a day. This will keep your blood sugar levels in check and would keep you full and away from sudden hunger pangs. Make sure you eat a lot of filling but healthy snacks such as nuts, fruits, milk and energy bars to get the required energy and stop the cravings.
- One of the commonest cravings in pregnancy is that of dairy products which often shows a sign of calcium deficiency. To curb this have plenty of soya products which would include soy milk, tofu, soya beans etc. Soy is a protein rich food product that is known to satiate the mind and the bosy and curb the cravings partially.
- Green tea with honey or lemon is another way to keep your mind and hands away from food. Green tea is rich in antioxidants that help fight body against deficiencies and supply the necessary vitamins and minerals. Apart from green tea, drinking plenty of fluids keeps you warm, energetic , fulfilled and satisfied. Regular intake of pregnancy supplements is also important to suffice the need of extra nutrients during pregnancy.
- Stay away from junk food as much as possible. The saturated oil and extra salt in these foods trigger the cravings more than ever and may leave you asking for more. Snack on healthy homemade food and whole grains, fruits and healthy desserts. Sugary processed bakery foods should also be avoided as they instead of satisfying your pangs may aggravate them and prove to be harmful for the fetal health. Also use of artificial sweeteners should be stopped as they are known to shoot up the sugar craving in the body.
- Keep yourself busy as much as possible. It is said that pregnancy craving is mostly in the mind. Hence it is necessary to divert your mind elsewhere to stop thinking about food all the time. Indulge in some physical activity every day to stay away from food provoking thoughts and also to keep your weight in check. Lastly, giving in to the cravings occasionally and moderately is not bad and would help you keep satisfied and happy, without overeating!
Photo Credit: Pregnancytoday.com