Gum disease is not only painful, irritating but it causes a lot of embarrassment to the people who suffer from it. It usually results in bad breath, ugly distorted teeth and great discomfort while eating, chewing , drinking or talking.
And a gum disease is not just related to an ongoing dental problem but can be an alarming bell for a future heart related risk or a stroke. It also indicates the risk of pancreatic cancer. Hence a gum related problem should be nipped in the bud before it starts effective the whole body.
To treat a gum disease or any periodontal disease it is important to diagnose the ailment present within. Here are a few interesting steps to detect and treat a gum disease and maintain a good dental hygiene for healthy gums.
- First step involves the diagnosis of a gum problem. You must know the symptoms of a gum disease to make sure that the problem is related to gum. If you have a persistent bad breath and the gums bleed often then it surely indicates a problem. Or if the gums recede or the teeth set is lose and shifts frequently then it may indicate weak or plagued gums. Swelling and tenderness of gums should also be noticed and reported to your family dentist.
- The first step involves thorough cleaning of your teeth by a dentist. Before starting any treatment it is necessary to clean the plaque hardened on the teeth which cannot be cleaned at home under any circumstances. This is done by a professional dental expert with special machines and equipments only. Cleaning is the first healthy step towards a good dental hygiene and strong teeth and gums.
- Natural Remedies for Gum disease: Once you got the teeth clean do not panic you can easily switch over to the natural ways to cure the gum disease.There are a plenty of natural remedies available in our kitchen that may help cure the condition and would save you from running high bills at the dental clinic.
- The best remedy for strong gums is use of Sea salt. Rinsing your mouth every morning and before going to bed with sea salt dissolved in a cup of water helps throw out the infection from the teeth and gums and helps bring down the gums swelling. Another good product is Manuka Honey that has several antiseptic and medicinal properties to drive away the infection from the mouth and gums and protect them from plaque. It has to be simply brushed on the gums after cleaning them twice a day.
- Medications and treatment: If the infection in the oral cavity is severe and all the treatments are not effective than your dentist may put you on a bacterial control medication. After this medical procedure he may plan a root canal treatment for you. The medications usually contain drugs that control the bacterial growth in gum pockets and prevent the infection from spreading in the body.
- If the infection is severe and is not responding to medicine then flap surgery is the last resort to eradicate the disease. It is done by giving a local anesthesia at the spot and removing the problem part by a small incision and scaling of the affected area.