Decorating a small apartment for Halloween may seem difficult because of the lack of space, and possibly due to decorative restrictions, if it is a rented apartment. However, the task of decorating can be made easier by, following the decorating tips given below, on how to decorate a small apartment for Halloween.
- The first thing to do is decorate your apartment walls. Do not paint your walls, unless you want your Halloween theme to be a permanent feature of your apartment. Instead, you can decorate the walls of your apartment with a few purchased posters that accentuate the Halloween theme, like posters of vampires, bats, monsters, ghouls, Horror movie scenes, etc.
- Alternatively, you can make your own Halloween themed posters and paper cutouts, using a few sheets of cardstock. For instance, you can put up little black colored bats with red eyes, creepy handprints in red paint, little ghosts with red cellophane eyes, etc. Use white colored Tack-it to attach your posters to your walls, as it can be removed easily without damaging the walls.
- Put up some white, red, or black curtains for your windows. To save money, you can simply pin up some red or black netting on your curtains, to make them dark and spookier looking. Preferably, use white netting or curtains featuring, Halloween themed motifs in black or red. Using too much of dark colors in your décor, can make your apartment appear smaller than it actually is. You can also put up some Halloween themed paper cutouts on the windowpanes using small bits of Tack-it.
- You can also decorate the doors of the apartment with a few Halloween themed motifs, or orange and black wreaths made out of crepe paper. Placing small Paper Mache Jack-O’-Lanterns on the window ledges around the apartment, and a few on the corners of tabletops, and filling them with Halloween treats for your children and guests, will give your apartment a truly festive Halloween look, without taking up too much space. You can also decorate the light fixtures in your home with black and red paper lanterns, or temporarily use orange and red colored light bulbs for a real spooky effect.
- The next step in decorating a small apartment for Halloween is, decorating your furniture to suit the Halloween theme by, placing white and red or white and black slipcovers over your sofas and chairs. Use the same color combinations for your bed linen.
- Decorate your dining table with a red or black tablecloth, Halloween inspired candelabras, and a red or black vase full of red and black roses. If your dining table is very small, remember to use minimal decorative items so that there is plenty of room for cutlery and dinnerware. Another nice idea to use while decorating a small apartment for Halloween, is placing a few tiny plastic skeletons, spiders with spiderwebs, and other miniature Halloween decorative items, over furniture and crockery.
Tips and Warnings
- While decorating a small apartment for Halloween, it is important not to clutter the place with decorative items. So try not to put up too many posters, and other décor around the house.
- Be careful while using paper lanterns to cover light fixtures. Furthermore, do not place candles in the Paper Mache Jack-O’-Lanterns.