- How To Make A Fruit CakePosted 464 days ago
- How To Dress NauticalPosted 464 days ago
- How To Make Malai KoftaPosted 464 days ago
- How To Make A Perfect MartiniPosted 464 days ago
- How To Make PancakePosted 467 days ago
- How To Treat Athletes FootPosted 467 days ago
- How To Make Gulab JamunPosted 468 days ago
How To Decorate Furniture
The furniture in a home serves the purpose of being both useful and decorative. If you’ve recently purchased some unfinished furniture, old but serviceable furniture pieces, antiques, or just want to give your own furniture a face lift, you should try decorating them to give them a new life and a refreshing new look. Read the following tips given below on how to decorate furniture, to learn more about ‘dressing-up’ furniture.
- There are several ways in which you can decorate furniture. You can decorate them with paint like enamel paint for example, decoupage and even wallpaper! So depending on which type of decorating process you choose, you will need to purchase some items from the hardware store for this furniture decorating task like paint, wallpaper paste, lacquer, etc.
- If you choose to paint your furniture, purchase paint that has a high gloss finish or matte finish, and in a color that complements the rest of your home décor. If you plan on adding a few designs to your furniture items you will also need stencils which you can make. Alternatively, if you are artistically gifted and have steady hands you can paint your designs free hand.
- Give your furniture a shabby chic look by distressing the surfaces of your pieces. First sand the furniture so that the old paint is removed and the surfaces are smooth with no bumps. If the old paint is white in color you needn’t remove the paint, but just sand it lightly so that the bumps and blemishes are removed. Add a few layers of white paint, and then sand in places so that the underlying paint layers show through, giving your furniture an authentic shabby chic look.
- If you wish to use the decoupage method for decorating furniture, you will need to collect pieces of colorful or patterned paper from things like magazines and glossy newspapers, and create a pretty collage which you can paste on your furniture. Alternatively, you can make a really awesome collage using free images from sites and collage making software.
- You can use several print outs to cover the surface of the furniture piece. You can also use scraps of mixed and colorful fabric, sew them together in the patchwork style and then paste them on a flat surface like a table top or drawer fronts. Coat your furniture piece with clear finish or lacquer to protect your artistic collage.
- Refurbishing old, damaged or plain looking furniture using wallpaper is also an excellent idea. If you use waterproof wallpaper you do not need to apply a clear finish. Coat the surface of the furniture where you wish to place your wallpaper piece, with wallpaper sizing. Spread wallpaper paste on the unprinted side of the wallpaper using a roller, carefully place it on the furniture surface and smoothe out wrinkles.
Tips and Warnings
- Paint fumes can be very harmful especially for people with respiratory disorders. Make sure you use protective gloves and masks when painting. Moreover, if you are using cans of spray paint, ensure that you hold the can well away from your person. If possible paint in a well-ventilated area for best results.
- Always use a ‘drop cloth’ or plastic sheets to protect your flooring from spills.
Photo Credit: Amenavo.fr/2011/09/06/inspiration-decoration-12/