Spring is around the corner and what better way to welcome the balmy weather than by trotting out your nautical best. If it’s a perfect day for taking your boat out for a ride or if you’re on a cruise, slip into a trendy sailor-style outfit and bask in the sunshine. You don’t really need to ride around in a boat to sport the nautical look.
Everyone likes to step out in the style. It’s not just trendy and fun, most of the clothes are made out of cotton and linen and tend to be very comfortable to wear. Nautical styled outfits are also incredibly easy to put together. Here’s how you can rock the boat with the nautical look.
- Get the right colors. Navy blue, white and black are absolute must-haves to sport this trendy look. You can mix and match with these colors to come up with several cool and saucy looking outfits.
- The essentials you will need are a pair of crisp white shorts, a nice white linen or crisp cotton shirt, either half-sleeved or full-sleeved, a navy belt, horizontal white and black striped tee, high waist white cotton pants and a pair of sandals or rubber soled shoes. If you can splurge a little, throw in a neat mini dress, a nautical inspired bikini, a racer back dress in red, white and blue stripes and a smart white blazer.
- Accessorize to get the look right. Go ahead and pick out a nice navy tote or white and black duffel bag. Sail cloth totes are also very trendy. Don’t overdo the whole anchor and beads thing because going overboard can spoil the effect. Instead, opt for a neat metallic watch and a simple pair of sandals.
- Dress according to the time of day. Go with a neat dress and jacket for the morning along with a pair of sandals; a simple tee and shorts for the afternoon and a cardigan over a boat neck top coupled with white pants for the evening.
- Dress according to the occasion. If you‘re on a cruise ship and it’s one of those stiff, formal affairs, it might be a good idea to throw in a navy blue evening gown. Don’t dress in horizontal stripes for dinner. Keep it subtle and sophisticated.
- If you have planned a fun day at the beach, then pull out all the stops and trot a white and navy bikini, complete with a sailor hat and sail cloth tote. Wear a pair of red shorts or go in for denim if you want to cover up on your way there.
Tips and Warnings
- Add spurts of color like red, beige or even pink to keep your style in check. A red sleeveless tee or a pair of beige chinos can come out of your regular wardrobe and fit right in with the nautical mood.
- The fun part about the nautical style is that it never really goes out of style so you can save all your cool looking clothes for next spring. In fact, a lot of them can fit right in with the casual look you sport everyday.
Photo Credit: Jennybydesign.com/2011_10_01_archive.html