How to find out if you are in love – this question could enter the mind of most teenagers, as they are generally confused of what constitutes love and what is just an infatuation.
They find it difficult to realize if they are just physically and sexually attracted to a person or whether they genuinely love the person for what he/she is, and could continue to do so all their life. Lust is quite different from love and it becomes difficult to figure out with other social pressures acting on them whether they really love the person.
- Start off to think if your feeling for the other person is lust or love. Lust is just a very powerful and intense physical or sexual emotion and is not based on genuine love and concern for the person. It is just a timely chemistry, while love is more permanent and deeper in nature. Love and lust could often be easily confused, as physical and sexual attraction is also needed for love. However it is also true that love based on just physical and sexual attraction is not permanent.
- The next step to judging whether the attraction to a person is lust or love lies in figuring out whether you just have physical and sexual attraction, or is the feelings and emotions much deeper. The test to find this out lies in thinking and finding out for yourself if you genuinely care for the person and would be ready to stand by him/her at all times through the joys and sorrows of life. The two persons should have real interest in the benefit of each other and understand that love has no place for jealousy, conflict, mistrust, insecurity and spitefulness.
- Your next step lies in understanding that when you love a person, you would be ready to give fully of one another, this being possible only when there is mutual trust and confidence as well as security in the relationship. It is true that being secure and good with each other also involves sharing confidences and feel happy seeing the other person happy and become sad when the other person is sad. In addition, two people in love are able to lift up the spirits of the other person when he/she is depressed or sad and be able to contribute to the betterment of each other. It is also true that they respect each other.
- The last step that guarantees that your love is growing is that both of you have deep feelings and affection for each other and feel special in each other’s company. Even if you feel jealous or angry, these feelings are temporary and you are able to get over and make up within a few hours. Though you may agree to disagree on certain aspects, your feelings for each other should be strong. You are easily able to place him/her above anyone else and are able to feel at home with the person. In addition, when sex in the relationship is with mutual desire and agreement, as well as without any pressure, you can rest assured that you are in love.
Tips and Warnings
- Do make sure that your feelings are not just infatuation or lust as it could demoralize you.