Mice have become a menace in most homes today. They literally wreck havoc, damaging things and burrowing furrows, in each nook and corner of the house. Most people are plagued by this problem but, yet they have found no permanent solution to it.
They either set up mouse traps or leave deadly poisonous substances lying about the house. Both of these procedures are not just temporary but are also harmful for your younger ones. Thus, it is important to find certain measures which can offer a long term way out of this difficulty.
The difficulty level of this task of mice removal is average. It just takes a bit of effort and endeavor to accomplish the job successfully.
- The first step to mice removal entails a cleanup of your entire house. Wash every corner and leave no food crumbs anywhere. It is a commonly known fact that mice prevail and breed in a house only if they find food crumbs lying about often. Make it a habit to vacuum under the carpets, especially in and around the kitchen so as to ensure a thorough cleaning operation.
- Secondly, stuff and fill all mouse holes presumably with pads of steel. These, unlike wood, cannot be gnawed at by the mice and thus their entry point remains blocked. Apart from these, look for all other possible entry points where the mice have either carved out or have just begun to cut through a hole. Block these points by similar kind of pads. This will seal their entry into the house- the outer ones will not be able to come in and the inner ones will not be able to go out.
- Once you have restricted mice movement, it is time to set up traps for them. Instead of putting up the mousetraps randomly, place them in the areas where you have observed mice activity most frequently. This might be your kitchen, your attic, your store or your basement. Try greasing the mouse trap with butter. Mice are known to like this smell and will walk into the traps themselves!
- Pick up cat or snake waste from a local zoo and place it near their possible entry points. The faint stench of these materials, which only the sensitive nose of a mouse can detect, is sure to put them off and have them change course. More so, peppermint oil available in most food stores is also known to ward mice away.
- If possible, place rat poison within the mouse trap. Otherwise, they may consume it and fall dead somewhere in the house. You will not be able to figure out their location but you will certainly be able to perceive their unbearable stink. Moreover, this way, has a dual advantage. Not only will the rat poison remain confined within the trap but it will also remain out of bounds for the children of the house.
- Getting rid of mice indeed requires a lot of patience. One must carefully follow these guidelines to get rid of mice once and for all. However, it is deemed preferable to instill these tips into your daily routine so that there remains no chance for these dreadful creatures to strike again.