Skunks are one of the gravest problems that human beings have to deal with today. They unceremoniously gain entry into our households and our gardens, destroying them to the very core. Not only this, the foul smell which they use as a defense mechanism spares them the brunt of skunk removal sprays. To add to this, it has been found that skunks are even the carriers of the fatal rabies virus! If you too have been troubled by the presence of skunks in your home or garden area, here are a few tips to help you get rid of them.
It is quite easy to get rid of skunks. All you need to do is to adhere to the following steps carefully and persistently.
- Keep your house clean. Cleanliness is the first rule to eliminate skunks. Most of these get attracted to trash, sewage, food crumbs and compost piles as it is these substances which serve as edible food for them. If you keep your trash bins tightly closed, your sewage outlets properly maintained and your household appropriately clean, there is no way a skunk would ever gain entry!
- Ensure there are no rats! Rats, a major problem in themselves, are the favourite food for skunks. Rats generally make their way into your house and form a route to devastate your kitchen! Have an anti-rodent cleanser sprayed into each corner of your home. Just as the rats are turned out, the skunks would automatically vanish as well!
- Leave no place for still water. Most of the times, water accumulates around washbasins, sinks, outlets and pipes. This standing water is just the right place for skunks to come and have their fill! Avoid leaving it unattended and drain it away as early as possible.
- Keep your house lighted. Skunks prefer to come around in dark places. Wherever there is ample light, they would instantly go away. Thus, it is preferable to keep the house adequately lighted in all corners. This way, they will keep out.
- Cover all holes. Holes which may have been drilled by skunks or rodents in your walls or floors must be identified and covered. This will block their point of entry and they will not be able to come inside the house.
By keeping skunks out of your place, you will not just save your home from destruction but you will also save yourself from disease. Keep in mind and practice the tips mentioned above and watch skunks never return to your abode!