Sweet potato is a starchy root vegetable that is rich in flavonoid, vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and dietary fiber. Sweet potatoes are low in calories and only about 90 calorie would be obtained from 100 grams of sweet potatoes. Moreover it contains no cholesterol and saturated fats.
Even though it has high starch content, due to the complex nature of carbohydrate present in sweet potato, the blood sugar level rises only gradually. Because of this nature of sweet potato, it can be consumed even by patients suffering from diabetes.
Moreover, sweet potatoes also contain vitamin A, beta-carotene, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin B1, riboflavin, niacin, iron, magnesium, calcium, manganese, magnesium and potassium. The most ideal way to consume sweet potatoes is by grilling.
It is very simple and easy to grill sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes that are firm and have a relatively smooth skin surface are ideal for grilling. Clean them thoroughly by rubbing the skin of sweet potatoes under running water and pat dry.
- If you are planning to grill the sweet potatoes as a whole, first poke the skin with a fork and make few stabs that will facilitate good ventilation while cooking and prevent the sweet potato from exploding during grilling. These holes also facilitate the thorough cooking of the center portion of the sweet potato.
- Now wrap the whole sweet potatoes firmly with aluminum foil. Alternatively you can also chop the sweet potato into slices, but the slices should not be small else they may fall through the grill when they are placed directly over the grill.
- Grease the preheated grill lightly and place the wrapped whole sweet potatoes over the grill. Cook the whole sweet potatoes for forty-five minutes. If the potatoes are sliced, place them directly on the grill and allow the slices to remain at the same place without turning to get perfect grill marks. Grill the sliced potatoes for five to ten minutes and flip them carefully with tongs and cook for another five minutes.
- In order to check whether the sweet potatoes are grilled adequately, poke one of the slices with a toothpick and if the toothpick passes through the sweet potato without much resistance then it is done. While checking the whole sweet potato, remove a small portion of aluminum foil, and check the sweet potato using a toothpick.
- Take the properly grilled sweet potatoes from the grill and allow it to cool down for a while and serve.
- While grilling, instead of grilling plain sweet potatoes you can also add flavors to them. For this mix quarter cup canola oil, kosher salt, ground pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper and two teaspoons of grated lime zest in a medium sized bowl. Brush the slices of sweet potato with this mixture before grilling. The said mixture would be sufficient for three sweet potatoes. Then sprinkle the grilled sweet potato slices with quarter cup of chopped fresh cilantro.
- Spice up your sweet potatoes according to your preferences and enjoy a healthy snack.
Photo Credit: Aggieskitchen.com/2009/05/29/rewind-grilled-sweet-potato-salad