Today more than half of the world population suffers from obesity and there is no dearth of information on how to reduce weight. But reduced weight gain is also a concern for many and do not panic even if your baby fell short of the targeted weight as per the pediatric chart as long as the baby is healthy, happy and normal.
Even then many parents want their baby to gain weight and here are some tips to improve the weight of the baby. Before getting too concerned about the weight of the baby, first you have to identify whether the baby has any genuine problem with weight gain.
Usually babies gain around 200 grams a week during the first month after birth and thereafter they gain one kg per month for up to six months. From sixth month to one year babies gain half kg per month and hence calculate your babies weight from the birth weight and if it’s far below the normal weight then you have to take measures to improve your baby’s weight.
It requires moderate difficulty to increase the weight of the baby.
- First of all you need to check whether the baby is getting enough milk, whether baby is being latched properly and whether the breast milk supply is enough for the baby. Ensure that the baby completely finish feeding from one breast before offering the other breast because this helps the baby to get richer and nutritious hind milk that helps to gain weight easily. Before starting the feeding, hand express some of the foremilk so that the baby gets more of the caloric and nutritious milk. As far as possible provide breast milk rather than formula milk as breast milk is more nutritious and immunity generating milk.
- Check whether the baby is passing stool and urine sufficiently and a baby should have three to four bowel movements in a day for up to six weeks and should pass urine after every feeding. Increase the feeding and nurse the baby in every two hours during the day time and once at the night which increases the baby’s food intake. Decrease or even stop giving solid food to the baby especially if the baby is below six months old because solid food has fewer calories and nutrients than the breast milk.
- If you are feeding the baby with solid foods then provide her high calorie vegetables like mashed potato, sweet potato, yam, peas etc along with cream and butter. Use regular butter and cream instead of the low fat ones. Avocado is also a good suggestion for solid food.
- Sleep with your baby or carry your baby to improve the physical contact between you and the baby which leads to increased weight gain in babies.
- Massage the baby daily with gentle and smooth strokes on the baby’s back, legs, hands, stomach and face. This will increase the blood circulation, sleep quality and digestion of the baby which leads to improved weight gain in baby.
- If your baby is not gaining weight even after practicing all these then better consult a pediatrician and find out whether your baby have any serious weight gaining problems like food intolerance, food allergy or any other medical problems.
Photo Credit: Madeformums.com
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]How To Help A Baby Gain Weight ,