- How To Make A Fruit CakePosted 463 days ago
- How To Dress NauticalPosted 463 days ago
- How To Make Malai KoftaPosted 463 days ago
- How To Make A Perfect MartiniPosted 463 days ago
- How To Make PancakePosted 466 days ago
- How To Treat Athletes FootPosted 466 days ago
- How To Make Gulab JamunPosted 467 days ago
How To Look Preppy
Tired of looking the same day after day? Revamp your style and sport a new look. Classic and sophisticated, the preppy look goes beyond trends. It is a timeless style that manages to come across as conservative yet chic. Celebrities like Justin Timberlake, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Katie Holmes, Taylor Swift and of course, Gossip Girl star Blake Lively, all carry off the look with aplomb.
If you are worrying about the damage to your wallet, the preppy look is easily achieved, even on a budget. All it takes is a good sense of style and a little ingenuity. You can put together a great preppy wardrobe with things you already own, as well as a few must-haves listed below.
- Wear plaid. Checked clothing is perfect for getting that school girl look. A short plaid skirt along with a dressy white full-sleeved top, knee high socks and mary janes are just among the many outfits you can put together with reasonable ease.
- Dress in solid colors. Avoid wearing prints because they simply don’t look preppy. Clothes in khaki, black, white, red, green and even pink work well. White and black outfits are standard favorites and can be mixed and matched with a variety of accessories.
- Look stylish with thick spectacles. An entire wardrobe change is not always need to achieve the preppy look. You can even do it by simply putting on a pair of thick, black spectacles. Hollywood’s Christina Hendricks and TV star Kelly Osbourne have even worn thick spectacles on the red carpet, matched with evening gowns.
- Sport clean-cut clothing. It can be a neat suit, a well-tailored summer dress, a pair of navy trousers, a pleated skirt or a slim long coat. Polo shirts are an absolute must. They are perhaps what defined the Oxford preppy look in the first place. Wear them in different sharp shades coupled with trousers in khaki, beige or any other earthy colors.
- Mary janes (shoes), black pumps, penny loafers and flip-flops can be worn with different outfits. If you want to really make a statement, combine your shoes with a neat pair of socks or stockings. Accessorize with gold and silver jewelry. Pearls, lockets on a fine gold chain, monogrammed jewelry and bracelets in sterling silver are some of the fun accessories that complement the preppy look.
- Wear as little make-up as possible. The preppy style calls for a natural, fresh look that make-up does not enhance. Use eye shadow in skin tones, brown eyeliner and brown mascara. Lightly dab on lipsticks in nude or barely-there shades. Don’t use makeup with a glossy or shimmering effect.
Tips and Warnings
- The preppy look is a clean and neat style, which means personal grooming plays a big role. Make sure that your hair, whether straight, curly or wavy is combed or brushed neatly. Clean fingernails, painted with clear nail polish looks better than nails painted with reds, pinks or browns.
- Attitude plays a huge role in deciding the success of your new look so carry yourself with confidence.
Photo Credit: Caphillstyle.com