A high blood sugar is medically termed as Hyperglycemia. Whatever food we eat is broken into small unit called glucose which is a simple sugar and it increases the sugar level of blood.
However, a hormone called insulin secreted by pancreas helps lower the blood sugar level. Insulin insufficiency may shoot up the blood sugar level, causing a lot of health problems including diabetes.
It’s a bit challenging to lower the increased levels of blood sugar in the body. However with a strict diet and exercise regimen one can easily reduce the blood sugar levels.
- A fiber rich low glycemic index diet is the key factor in reducing the blood sugar levels. Your diet should include whole grains, bran and bran based cereals, pulses and legumes. Reduce the intake of carbohydrates, specially the refined ones and replace them with a protein rich food. Increase the intake of low glycemic vegetables-Asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, cucumber, green beans, spinach and peppers. Totally avoid potatoes, white rice and refined flour.
- Keep a check on the body weight. By staying fit and healthy you can easily maintain your blood sugar levels. Follow a religious routine of 30-45 minutes of exercise. A post dinner walk is extremely effective in bringing down the sugar levels. Avoid lying down immediately after dinner.
- Reduce your belly fat. Studies and researches show a clear and direct relation between belly fat and insulin resistance. Regular exercise and a strict diet can help you keep you get rid of belly fat. Also, avoid binging on one big meal. Take 4-5 small meals throughout the day to keep insulin levels in check.
- Get your hormone levels checked. Hormonal imbalance is one of the key reasons that trigger off the blood sugar levels. Consult a physician and get the required tests done. Take proper medication to keep the hormones balanced and on right levels.
- Many natural herbs and plant products have excellent properties to lower the blood sugar. Cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, basil leaves, garlic, Fenugreek and Gooseberries are excellent home remedies, known to reduce glucose level if consumed in small quantity regularly.
Tips and Warnings
- It’s advisable to buy a Glucose meter to keep a check on your blood sugar levels regularly. Any rapid change in the levels should be reported to your physician.