Children look forward to their birthday cakes as much as they look forward to their birthday itself. If it is a surprise party, then they are dying to know what shape and flavor the cake will be. If this is your first time baking a birthday cake, I would go with a simple shape, something that is easy to decorate.
Birthday cakes are not too difficult to make especially if you are a seasoned baker. You may need a few additional ingredients, particularly for decorating the cake. This recipe is for making a birthday cake shaped as a cat’s face, complete with candied eyes, nose and mouth.
- This recipe will need the following ingredients – 1 ½ cups of cake flour, 1 cup of powdered white sugar, 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, ¾ cup of unsalted butter softened, a pinch of salt, 3 medium sized eggs (egg whites and yolk separated), ½ cup of plum jelly and ¼ cup of M&Ms or any other small, round colorful candy.
- A fudge frosting would go very nicely with this cake. It can be made from 1 cup of soft unsalted butter, 1 ½ cups of icing sugar, 7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, 4 tablespoons of hot water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Butter a round cat shaped cake tin and line with parchment paper. Butter the parchment well.Melt the chocolate in a thick-bottomed saucepan and set aside to cool completely.
- Sift the dry ingredients (except the sugar). Cream the butter and sugar until thick and pale yellow. Set your electric mixer to medium speed and beat in the egg yolks till well blended.
- Set the mixer to low and beat in the sifted dry ingredient. Pour in some of the melted chocolate from time to time. Beat the egg whites for 10 minutes with the mixer set to high speed. Do not beat them into the batter. Fold the egg whites with a clean spatula.
- Once all the ingredients have been mixed in and there is no flour stuck to the sides or the bottom, pour the batter into the cake tin. Pop it into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- While the cake is baking, get started on the frosting. Melt the chocolate and butter. Cool completely and then beat in the remaining ingredients at high speed. Allow a few minutes standing time before you take the cake out of the oven.
- Cool the cake for 5-10 minutes. Then turn it on to a metal rack and cool completely. Split the cooled cake into two layers. Spread half the plum jelly on the top of one layer. Place the second layer on top of the first. Spread the remaining jelly and top it off by smoothing the frosting. Place M&Ms for eyes, nose, whiskers and mouth.
Tips and Warnings
- You can achieve a variety of shapes by buying the different cake tins. You probably will get ones made of metal, shaped like birds, animals, cartoon characters, vehicles and more, if you know where to look. This cake keeps for 4 days.
Photo Credit: Deliciousmagazine.co.uk