Italian cuisine has found its way into every country, with some minor local modifications. However, nothing can change the quintessential cheese pizza, which is as much a favorite with adults as it is with children. The best way to make this is by using at least two different types of cheese.
It is simple to make so even your children can have a go at making it (provided they are supervised by an adult). Just keep the pizza dough ready so that you don’t have to make everything from scratch each and every time you make a pizza. I have thrown in a little sausage into this recipe but you can just as easily ignore it and make yourself a plain cheese pizza.
- This recipe for cheese pizza will need the following ingredients – 10 inch pizza base (2 nos.), pizza sauce, feta cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, sliced sausage, ¼ teaspoon of basil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt to taste.
- You can make the pizza sauce with 3 large, ripe red tomatoes chopped, 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine, 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper powder, 1 teaspoon of oregano or pizza seasoning, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt to taste.
- Heat the oil in a wok and tip in the chopped garlic. Fry till fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes along with the black pepper powder, oregano and salt. Stir well. Cover the wok with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir the sauce from time to time. Do not add any water. You don’t always need to pre-cook the sauce. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and marinate for 3-4 hours. This allows the tomatoes to soak in the flavor of the garlic, oregano and black pepper. Pizza sauces made through this way have a more distinct flavor. Preheat the oven to 400 C.
- Place the pizza base on a baking tray and smear a little olive oil on top. Spoon the prepared pizza sauce and spread it evenly across the surface. Arrange the sliced sausage (optional).
- Add the feta cheese and drizzle with salt. Sprinkle cheese liberally on top of the pizza. Top your pizza off with some dried basil. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or till the crust turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes. Cut into 6 slices. Serve hot with tomato ketchup. If you are South Asian, then you might like adding a dash of Tabasco sauce to spice the pizza up a little or sprinkle a pinch of sun dried red chilli flakes.
Tips and Warnings
- Store unused pizza sauce in a clean, airtight container and refrigerate. Consume within 3-4 days. Since you are not adding any preservatives to it, the sauce will probably get spoiled. This recipe for cheese pizza can serve as a base for other recipes.
- Add different toppings. If you like meaty pizzas, then add bits of ham, Italian sausage, steamed or barbecued chicken or ground meat. If you want a healthy vegan option, add red and green bell peppers, small chopped pieces of tomato, mushrooms or even small cubes of cottage cheese.
Photo Credit: Stansgourmetfoods.com