A latte is essentially a coffee with milk. We all love the creamy, foamy and frothy texture of a latte. Wouldn’t it be just wonderful, if you can make a café latte at home rather than going out and spending mega bucks on a few cups of coffee?
Making a latte at home is easy if you have a few equipments and a couple of ingredients ready in stock. Initially it may be a patience testing task, but perfection comes easily with practice!
- You need: Espresso coffee beans, milk, sugar, flavored syrups(optional), a steam wand and a food thermometer.
- The first step of making a latte is to steam your milk. You can use skimmed milk for the purpose. Pour a glass of milk in a stainless steel container or a jug or a pitcher. Put the steam wand inside the pitcher and make froths in your milk. It is important to place the wand in an inverted position and keep clockwise rotation for proper and good frothing. Keep the milk temperature below 160 degree F.
- Now comes the most important step of pouring the espresso shots in the milk. For the most genuine and authentic flavor it is important to grind your espresso beans just before the shots. Put the grounded espresso into the coffee filter and press it immediately.
- Start pouring the shots in your steamed milk pitcher within seconds of preparing your grounded coffee. Pour shots for approximately 20 seconds for the perfect latte. Stir with spoon to ensure the foam is distributed evenly.
- Now comes the flavoring part. A latte tastes best when it is flavored with some exotic vanilla or cinnamon essence. You can add your own choice of syrup and stir with a spoon and serve immediately. Or if you wish to skip the sweet syrups you can serve it just plain with a little chocolate or cocoa sprinkled on top of the latte!
Tips and Warnings
- Making a latte at home involves a lot of work with steam and hot machines. One should be careful while handling these equipments and steam as it may cause serious burns.
- You can regulate the calorie content of your latte by switching to low-fat milk and avoiding sugar based syrups on top.