Apple sauce is a delicious dessert that can be eaten on its own or can be used a topping over cakes, pancakes, waffles and more.
Though you can buy apple sauce from grocery outlets, there is nothing like the flavor and taste of fresh home-made apple sauce. Apple sauce can also be used as a marinade ingredient for grilling meat, pork, etc. Apple sauce is very easy to make at home and can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. This article has step-by-step guidelines on how you can make apple sauce at home.
- To make apple sauce you will need good quality apples that are sweet yet have a tangy taste. Also, apples that cook quickly and become mushy easily will be ideal for apple sauce.
- You can decide on the number of apples depending on the quantity of apple sauce you desire to make. Prepare the apples by peeling them and removing the core. Cut the apples into small cubes to facilitate faster cooking.
- Prepare the apple sauce by placing the cut apples in a pot combined with one cup water, half cup sugar and 2-3 teaspoon lemon juice. You can substitute water with apple juice for an enhanced flavor and sweeter taste.
- Let all the ingredients boil and then allow it to simmer for 20-30 minutes on low flame. The apples must become soft and mushy. Once done, let the apples cool a bit and then pass them through a sieve to obtain a fine sauce like consistency. Add a pinch of cinnamon powder or nutmeg powder for a sweet and spicy touch to your apple sauce.
- To make an exotic dessert, add chopped walnuts, raisins or candied cranberries to your apple sauce.For those wanting a slightly sweeter apple sauce, consider adding honey or maple syrup in addition to sugar. This will sweeten your apple sauce without making it too high in calories.
- You can add grated lemon rind to your apple sauce to give it a tangy citrus flavor. This goes very well with the sweet and tart taste of the apples and sugar.