Pizza is our family’s last minute weekend dinner. We always make it at home so that we know exactly what goes into it. I strongly recommend homemade pizzas over the local Domino’s.
Barbecue chicken pizza needs a little preparation the night before as you will be marinating the chicken pieces in BBQ sauce. If you are a seasoned hand at making sauces, use a homemade BBQ sauce. Nothing beats home cooked food. I find it easier to whip up my own pizza sauce and use a store-bought BBQ sauce for the marinade.
- You will need the following ingredients – Pizza dough or ready made pizza base, a cup of barbecue sauce + 2 tablespoons for the pizza base, half a small onion, sliced fine, ½ pound of shredded mozzarella cheese, ½ cup of cooked chicken, cut into small cubes or chopped into small bits (depending on how you like it), 1 tablespoon of olive oil + ½ teaspoon for greasing the pizza pan, salt to taste and ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper powder.
- Mix a little salt into the cooked chicken pieces and pour the barbecue sauce over it. Mix well. Cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator the night at least 8 hours ahead of making the pizza.
- The pizza dough can be prepared from scratch by adding yeast to a bowl of warm water and setting aside for 5-10 minutes. Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a large plate. Make a small hole in the center and pour a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and the yeast. Mix the ingredients and knead into dough with your hands. Keep sprinkling a little flour on the plate so that the dough does not stick.
- Smear a little olive oil in a medium sized bowl and transfer the dough into it. Cut into the surface of the dough and smear ½ teaspoon of olive oil. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and set aside for 2 hours. It should take about that long for the dough to rise.
- While the leavening process is underway, take the marinated chicken out of the fridge and allow it to come down to room temperature. Once leavened, knead to remove any trapped air pebbles. Divide the dough into as many portions as you want.
- Preheat the oven to 400 C. Flour a rolling board and roll out the portions of pizza dough, one by one. Grease a pizza pan with the ½ teaspoon of olive oil and place the rolled out pizza dough on it.
- Spread the barbecue sauce on the pizza dough, neatly arrange the chicken bits, sprinkle a little black pepper powder and drizzle with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes or till the crust is a rich golden brown. Your barbecue chicken pizza is ready.
Tips and Warnings
- I recommend using a perforated pizza pan as it bakes the base better than the regular kind.
- You can add additional toppings like bits of fried bacon or sausage.
Photo Credit: Erincooks.com