Warming, delicious and rich, beef stew is the perfect for those cold days and can be enjoyed with some nice cornbread. This nutritious and wholesome dish is made by slow cooking beef along with lots of vegetables, sausages and meat in liquid such as water, wine or beer.
This form of cooking helps in releasing the flavors of the meat and can be further enhanced with seasonings. Here is how you can make delectable beef stew at home.
Moderately Difficult And Time Consuming
- To make beef stew you will need two to three ponds of beef chuck which has been cut and cubed along with beef broth, cold water, six to eight peeled and cut potatoes, a cup of peas, cut turnips, vegetable oil, flour, salt, three stalks of sliced celery, ten small boiling onions, six carrots sliced along with black pepper powder, salt and garlic powder.
- In a plastic bag combine some flour with pepper, garlic powder and salt. Add the cubes of beef and then shake well so that all the pieces are well coated with the flour mixture.
- Now heat some oil in a pot. Place the pieces of beef in the pan and fry them till they are completely browned. Once all the pieces are brown, take them all out and then fry the chopped onions.
- Once it is done, remove the browned onions and set aside. In another large pot add the beef broth along with the carrots, turnips, peas, celery, potatoes and the cooked onions. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Once the liquid starts boiling, reduce the heat and add in the fried beef cubes. Simmer on low heat for an hour and half. Keep stirring in intervals.To thicken the stew add in the flour and water and cook for additional thirty minutes.
- Instead of cooking with beef broth you can also use red wine or beer to cook the stew. For added flavors and nutrition you can also add some cooked bacon, dried thyme, oregano and Worcestershire sauce to the stew. Serve the delicious beef stew with rolls, cornbread or biscuits.