Buns are the most versatile form of bread that can be used for a variety of recipes. Homemade buns taste delicious when used for hamburgers, sandwiches or eaten as a simple, plain tea bun.
People prefer buying buns from the nearest bakery, whenever required. But a fresh homemade bun is a delightful baking experience and can be made easily within no time. Making buns at home is convenient and economical too. They can be used any time with morning or evening tea or breakfast and snacks.
The given recipe for buns will easily guide you through the whole process of bun baking in the most efficient way. Your hamburgers will have the most unusual taste after these homemade buns.
- Ingredients: For making around 10 burger buns you need 500 gm flour, 1 cup of butter, 1 and half cup of sugar, 1 egg, fresh yeast, a pinch of salt, 1 cup of milk, 1 table spoon sesame seeds, baking tray, mixing bowls and a brush.
- Mix all the dry ingredients first sieving them together in a large bowl or a big platter. Now add salt, sugar, yeast and the beaten egg slowly and step wise. Pour in the milk and mix the ingredients. Keep mixing and kneading till the mixture takes the shape and form of dough. Now dust your cooking platform with some plain flour and spread the dough on it. Keep kneading it by applying pressure with your palm and hands till the dough is smooth and a little rubber like.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth or a towel and let it rise. It is better to keep it in a warm place that will help rise the dough almost double the size. Take the dough out after one hour. Keep it on a flat surface and punch it hard to let the air out. Now take a potion of the dough and slit it length wise or make a cross to make bun. Repeat on all the 9 portions and cover and keep aside to help them rise further. Preheat the oven to 200 degree F.
- Grease a baking tray and line up the buns in the tray with some space between them to allow them to expand. Brush egg wash on top of the buns for the glaze after baking. Sprinkle some sesame seeds before starting the oven. Now bake the buns for at least 15 minutes in the center of the oven. Keep an eye on the buns till they turn golden brown in color. Switch off the oven and take the tray out. Cut the buns and serve them while they are still warm. Your fresh, soft homemade buns can be used for a variety of recipes including hamburgers, sandwiches or toasted snacks.
Tips and Warnings
- If you find it difficult making the shapes of buns or rolls, you can also use a pan or a bun making machine for the purpose. It helps you craft the perfectly shaped buns.
- Apart from making plain tea buns, you can add a variety of flavors like cinnamon, cherries, dried fruits, nuts or chocolates to your buns for making them taste exotic.
Photo Credit: Pattycakespequot.com