Cheese steak is a delicious and exotic entrée served at specialty steakhouses. Cheese steak is a combination of succulent steak strips and melted cheese on an Italian bread, – topped with condiments.
Cheese steak is an extremely popular entrée in the United States and is generally served with a side of French fries or sweet potato fries. It is simple to make cheese steak at home. This article has step-by-step instructions showing you how to make cheese steak at home.
- To make cheese steak, buy good quality steak meat. Rib eye steak is the most commonly used steak used to make this recipe. Wash the meat under water and cut it into thin strips, discarding any fat. Ensure that you cut the steak into really thin strips so that the meat will remain succulent yet slightly crisp when it is pan-fried.
- Next, heat oil in a skillet and add sliced sweet onions to this. Let the onions sauté for a while allowing them to caramelize. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Along with sweet onions, you can also sauté bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. You may also add finely minced garlic for added flavor.
- Once the veggies are sautéed, in the same pan, add the steak strips. Cook the steak strips till they get done. Add salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning. Once the steak gets done, lower the heat to medium and add a cup of shredded cheese. American or provolone is the preferred cheese for this recipe. However, you could also do with cheddar cheese. Mix the cheese very well with the steak so that it completely melts. Keep stirring often so that the cheese does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the cheese has completely melted and the steak is cooked, take fresh crusty Italian rolls. Gently toast them in an oven or warm them on a skillet using a little butter.Place a generous amount of the prepared cheese steak in the center of the Italian rolls. Top the cheese steak with caramelized onions, bell peppers and mushrooms.
- You can spice up your cheese steak with sauces of your choice such as tomato ketchup, mustard sauce or sweet onion sauce.