Preparing chicken and rice together is an old family tradition in many houses and which has been going on since olden days and still continuing in the modern times as well.
This dish holds a special place in the dining table during festivals and family gatherings because of the dish being economical as well as filling. It hardly takes much effort to prepare and you can easily leave the dish inside the oven and finish the rest of your chores.
An easy dish which also allows you to mingle with the guests and one which the children as well as the grown-ups will devour with relish. It is better to make sure that you have made extras for second helpings.
Although there are pot recipes for chicken and rice which is prepared in the gas, baking it makes the dish much for healthier and retains the nutrients. The below recipe will make enough for four people but as said earlier, it is always better to make extra for seconds.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1- 1 ½ hours
- You will need 1 cup of white rice, 1 can of condensed, readymade chicken soup, (you can also use cream of onion or mushroom for extra flavor or make the cream at home), 1 ounce of packaged dry onion soup, 1-2 cups of chicken broth, 1 tbsp of mixed herbs of your choice (you can use rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro etc.), 4 halves of chicken breasts (skinless), 2 broccolis and 4 mushrooms (optional).
- Cut the chicken breasts and the broccoli and mushrooms into bite sized pieces and place them inside a baking dish measuring around 9×13 inch. Now take a bowl and combine the rice, herbs, soup and chicken broth and mix well.
- Now pour the entire mixture on top of the chicken and vegetables inside the baking dish and sprinkle the onion soup mix on top. Next, cover the dish with aluminum foil and seal tightly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 300° F and place the baking dish inside for it to bake for about an hour to 1 ½ hours. Remove from the tray and garnish with a sprig of rosemary and your dish is ready to be served.
Tips and Warnings
- You can use water for the mix instead of chicken broth.
- Make sure the foil is wrapped tightly on the baking dish and sealed before putting inside the oven for baking.
- The dish will go well with a green salad and a glass of chardonnay. Since the dish itself is very heavy, there is no requirement for a side dish.
- You can add spices to the mix if you want the dish to be a little hot. Spices like pepper, cayenne, paprika etc. will add the right kick. Other aromatics like garlic, celery and onions can also be added to the mix, if you desire a more flavorful dish.
- Although chicken breasts are the preferred parts used in this kind of casserole, you can however add your own variation and use other pieces. Chicken legs and drumsticks go well with this dish.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]How To Make Chicken Rice,