Indian non-veg recipes have become quite popular worldwide over the years. One of them is chicken tikka Masala. It is succulent grilled pieces of chicken resting in thick, mouth watering orange gravy. It is very spicy. But once in a while you can dodge your diet and take pleasure of this yummy preparation.
In fact it is the most favourite dish of UK and is called the National Dish of that country. Once you have tasted it you will understand the reason behind its popularity. Do not get nervous with the long list of ingredients. One should not judge the book by its cover. And now let’s get prepared to paint the town orange.
- There will be two separate lists of ingredients, one for the tikka marination, and another for the gravy.
- For marination you will need five hundred grams of boneless chicken, half cup of chopped fresh coriander leaves, one tablespoon of ginger paste and one and half tablespoons of garlic paste, half cup of yogurt, cumin powder half teaspoon, one teaspoon of chilli powder, one teaspoon of garam masala, half teaspoon of turmeric powder, few drops of orange food color (optional), salt to taste.
- Beat the yogurt. Grind the coriander (save some for garnishing). Cut the chicken. Now mix all the above powders, salt and grinded coriander. Add the beaten yogurt to it and mix. Now add the chicken pieces and again mix. Cover the vessel with a lid and let it marinate for at least one hour (if you can keep longer then better, but one hour will also do)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree Centigrade or 400 degree Fahrenheit. Thread the chicken onto the skewers. And put it in the oven. Also keep a tray under it, which will catch the drippings. Brush oil on the chicken, so that it remains moist. Cook it until it is tender and brown from all side. You can also do it in a pan with low heat.
- To cook the gravy the required ingredients are: one onion finely chopped, 3 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped, 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped, one and half tablespoons of ginger paste, one tablespoon of garam masala, 2 pods of cardamom, turmeric powder one fourth teaspoon, half cup of single cream, one teaspoon sugar, two tablespoons of almond, 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil, salt to taste.
- Method: Heat the oil and add the onion. Fry it till it is golden brown in color. Now add the ginger paste, chopped garlic, and clove. Fry till the oil is separated. Blanch the almonds and make a paste. Add the garam masala, turmeric powder and the sugar and almond paste. Stir it. Then add the chopped tomatoes. Mix well until the tomatoes are soft and turn into a paste. Add salt to taste.
- Now it is time to add the chicken pieces. Cook it for 10 minutes on medium flame. In the next step add the cream and stir it well. Turn off the flame. Garnish it with the coriander leaves. Serve it hot. It goes best with naan.
Photo Credit: Reasonpad.com/2009/05/chicken-tikka-masala-indian/