Chocolate covered strawberries are something very special and are available in most of the chocolate stores especially at the time of Valentine’s Day. It is also an ideal way to incorporate strawberries to kid’s diet.
Strawberries are good source of vitamin C and it also contain phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamin B5, B6, riboflavin, folic acid, potassium, copper, magnesium, calcium, omega 3 fatty acids etc. Above all it provides fibers and reduces the cholesterol level especially the bad cholesterol.
There for consuming strawberries will reduce the high blood pressure, heart diseases and lowers the risk for getting cancer. Hence chocolate covered strawberries are always better than the normal chocolates.
If you have fresh or frozen strawberries then making chocolate covered strawberries is very simple.
- Wash the fresh strawberries very well under running water and this helps to remove the traces of pesticides and dirt. Wipe each berry with paper towel to make them dry and keep aside. This helps the chocolate to cling to the berries easily.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with a wax paper and keep the cookie sheet close to the stove. Keep a saucepan on medium flame with two tablespoon of butter in it. Then add 12 ounce semi sweet chocolate chips to the pan and heat it in low flame.
- Stir the oil and chocolate mixture till it combines very well. Never heat the chocolate under high heat as it may burn the chocolate and provides a bad flavor to the final product.
- Now take one quart fresh strawberries and dip the strawberries one by one in this mixture up to their leafy stalk. It looks great when a hint of red color of strawberry is seen near the stalk and arranges them on the wax paper lined cookies sheet without touching each other.
- Once the entire strawberries are coated then keep the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours or till the chocolate gets set. Then remove them from the cookie sheet and arrange on a beautiful platter for serving.
- It is ideal to consume the chocolate covered strawberries with in 48 hours. Similarly other fruits such as cherries, dried apricots, raspberries, marshmallow etc can be used for making chocolate covered fruits.