Curry can be defined as a side dish that can be made with any number of ingredients such as spices and can be used with any type of food. It is a global recipe which had its origin in South Asia and is now popular in Britain.
The spices used in a curry are great to combat Alzheimer’s disease. Curry can be made with spices as it is or with a store bought curry powder. Follow the below given steps to make a simple and healthy curry especially if you have a South Asian guest at home.
- Ingredients –Two tablespoons of olive oil or canola oil, one teaspoon of cumin seeds, two cloves of garlic finely chopped, one medium red onion finely chopped, two green chilies de-seeded and diced, one can of diced tomatoes, two tablespoons of fresh cilantro, one tablespoon of coriander powder, one teaspoon of red chili powder, half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt as per taste.
- You can also add to this the main ingredient you would like to make the curry of, such as – meat pieces, chicken pieces, cubed potatoes, green peas etc.Take out a medium sized saucepan and heat it.Add the oil and when it is hot, put the cumin seeds.
- Start stirring the seeds and let it brown.Now add the garlic and sauté for a minute.Further add the chopped onions and green chilies. Keep on stirring.When the onion becomes soft and pink, add the coriander powder first, then the chili powder and finally the turmeric powder. Keep on stirring.
- Add the tomato and saute till the mixture becomes thick.Add the salt as per your taste and mix well.Finally add the main ingredient which can be anything such as – boiled and cubed potatoes or boiled green peas, mushrooms, shrimps or simply the leftover meat pieces.
- Mix well to let the main ingredient take the flavor of the curry.Add a little water if the curry or sauce gets too dry. When all the ingredients are cooked to perfection remove from stove and garnish with cilantro.