If you are thinking what to make for breakfast, then French toast will be a great idea. It’s a hot and favorite option that tastes awesome as well as appeals to your taste buds. French toast is the most common breakfast now in India. This recipe tastes great and takes very less time to make it.
However, egg is used so it comes under non-vegetarian category. The ingredients of it are very simple and very few. It is so easy to prepare that people who have never made anything in their life and want to start cooking experience for the first time. This can be made in gas oven or electric oven or even in induction cooker.
French toast is a very healthy meal also, suitable for breakfast. However you should not use much of oil or sugar to prepare it. The nutritional value is also adequate. You get carbohydrates from the bread, calcium from milk, egg protein and many other nutrients.
It is also economically suitable as eggs are quite cheaper and you can use stale breads which you would otherwise have thrown it. You need to choose recipes that do not require the use of much sugar. Read on for French toast recopies that do not require you to use much sugar and hence are healthy and recommended for breakfast. However in case you choose a recipe that requires much use of sugar then eat it as special treat.
There are 3 different kinds of French toasts – Normal French toast, Pecan French Toast and Baked French Toast. The recipes are slightly different for each of these.
- Ingredients Needed For Normal French toast: You need 4 Eggs, 1½ tablespoon of sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 cup of whole milk, 8 thick slices white bread, 8 spoons of Sunflower oil.
- Steps For Cooking: Crack the eggs into a bowl. Please take a note that outer skin of the eggs should be removed carefully. Add 1 cup of milk to the bowl. Add 1½ tablespoon sugar to the bowl. Add ½ tablespoon salt to the bowl. Stir the contents of the bowl with a table spoon gently till all the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Put a frying pan on the oven with moderate flame. Heat the frying pan for 1 min of time. Take one bread piece at a time and dip it into the bowl mixture in such a way so that both sides of the bread are coated with the mixture. Put 1 tablespoon of sun flower oil on the frying pan.
- Put the coated bread on the frying pan and fry it for 1 min. This should be repeated for both sides. Check if the bread is properly fried and then take it out of the frying pan. If not, then fry it for some more time. Follow the same procedure for other breads also and your French toast is ready.
- Ingredients Needed For Pecan French Toast: you need 4 Eggs, 1½ tablespoon of sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 cup whole milk, and 8 thick slices of white bread, 8 spoons of oil, 2/3rd cup orange Juice, 1/4th cup white sugar, 1/4th teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/4th teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ or 1 pound of Italian Loaf Bread. You need to cut the bread into 1 inch slices, 1/3rd cup of Butter, melted, ½ cup of Pecans, finely chopped and 1 tablespoon Orange Zest, grated.
- Steps For Cooking: Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Please take a note that outer skin of the eggs should be removed carefully. Add orange juice, milk, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla extract, in the large bowl. Stir the contents of the bowl with a table spoon gently till all the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Place bread slices on the bottom of the baking pan. Pour the egg mixture over the bread pieces so that all the bread pieces are coated properly. Cover the pan and put it into the refrigerator for 3 hours. After 3 hours, turn bread sides and refrigerate again for 3 hours. After 6 hours, preheat the same into the microwave oven at about 350 degrees F.
- After preheat, pour melted butter on the bread slices. Arrange the soaked bread pieces over the pan. Sprinkle orange peel and pecans on the bread slices. Final step would be to bake the bread slices until they turn golden brown in the microwave oven.
- Ingredients For Baked French Toast: Take a one pound loaf French bread. Cut it diagonally into 1 inch slices. 8 eggs, 2 cups of milk,1 to 1 ½ cups of cream, 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/4th teaspoon of ground cinnamon,3/4th cup of butter,1/3rd cup of brown sugar,3 teaspoon of light corn syrup.
- Steps For Cooking: Take a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in bottom of the dish. In the meantime, take a large bowl and beat together the eggs, vanilla, milk, cream and cinnamon. Blend the mixture so that no lumps are formed. As it is prepare pour it over your bread slices and then cover it. You need to keep the whole thing in refrigerator overnight.
- Next morning preheat the microwave or any oven to 350 degree F. side by side prepare a mixture by combining brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Now take all of the three ingredients in a pan and heat up till the mixture starts boiling. Now pour the mixture over the breads and bake it for 40 minutes. You baked French toast is ready. This is not at all difficult but requires some time as you need to refrigerate overnight.
Tips and Warnings
- You can add toppings to your French toast. Add hot apple sauce, powdered sugar, butter, syrup, apple butter, chopped fruits, fruits with whipped cream, simply whipped cream or cinnamon for that extra deliciousness. However do not use much sugar as it is not a part of healthy breakfast.
- You can add sausages, bacon, fruits and eggs at side. These food items goes very well with French toast and hence makes a very tasty and complete breakfast.
Photo Credit: Recipeturk.com