Dosa is a nutritious item popular in south India. Dosa, normally used as breakfast, can be prepared very easily. Dosa is delicious with any curries but it is usually eaten with coconut chutney. Dosa is made from the mixture of urad dal and cream of cooked rice. The following instructions tell you how to make a delicious Dosa. Try a hand, you can have Dosa for your next breakfast.
It is easy to make Dosa but you need to prepare the main ingredients, the cream of rice and urad dal pulp, before 12 hours.
- The main ingredients you need are cooked rice and urad dal. With that, you need to make the cream of rice and urad dal pulp.
- Put rice and urad dal in separate bowls filled with water for more than two hours. Make sure that water covers them fully. After two hours remove the water and blend both separately in an electric blender until both are pulpy. Use required water while you blend them.
- Take the blended rice (the pulp) and add required salt mixing it properly. Then add urad dal paste to the rice pulp and mix them well.
- You have to keep this mixture aside in a bowl covering it properly for minimum 12 hours for fermentation. If you are going to make Dosa for your breakfast, you better make this mixture in the last night.
- After 12 hours, take a flat pan, preferably an aluminum heavy no-stick pan, and heat it adding vegetable oil. Now you need a ladle to take and pour the mixture of urad dal paste and rice pulp into the pan.
- When the pan is hot enough, take the mixture half of the ladle and pour it into the pan spreading it out with the bottom of the ladle. The mixture should be spread out thinly and in a circular shape.
- Then cook each side properly by turning it over when one side gets browned lightly. You can each Dosa in the same manner.
- To avoid sticky nature of pan, you can sprinkle oil on pan in between each Dosas.Now you can serve the hot Dosas with coconut chutney or any other curry.