Macaroni salad is a popular American recipe and is a rage during picnics and outdoor parties. It is a hot favorite with both children and adults and the macaroni salad provides a welcome change from the traditional cheese and macaroni dishes.
This scrumptious meal is delicious as well as packed with nutrients because of the healthy vegetables and eggs used in the recipe. Enjoy it as a meal with garlic breads and mayonnaise or as a side dish during the hot summer days. You can also use this as a snack with a cool drink. You can use different variations of macaroni but it goes best with elbow ones. The following recipe will serve four.
- The ingredients required are, 2 cups of elbow macaroni, 2 eggs, vegetables of choice (usually best with bell peppers of all colors, 1 tbsp olive oil, baby beans and carrots can also be used), 1 ½ celery stalks, 1 sprig of parsley, 1 onion, ½ cup mayonnaise, ½ tea spoon salt, ½ tablespoon of crushed black pepper and water to boil the mayonnaise.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add salt to it. Add the macaroni when the water starts bubbling and cook for 5-10 minutes till the macaroni is tender. Drain and set the macaroni aside for cooling.
- Hard boil the eggs and peel the shells after cooling. Slice the eggs into thin slices and keep aside.Dice the vegetables and cook separately in a pan with a little butter.
- For the dressing, chop onions, parsley and mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and mix well.Add the dressing to the cooked vegetables and macaroni and mix well till it becomes creamy. Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Place everything in a salad bowl and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving with garlic bread or just a cool drink.Adding a little olive oil to the salad will add a Mediterranean twist to this dish as well as help it in retaining its freshness. A few drops of fresh lime juice can also be added to provide a nice touch and flavor to this otherwise bland dish.