Momos form an integral part of Nepalese and Tibetan cuisine and is a staple food of these regions. Momos are steamed or fried dumpling stuffed with minced chicken, meat or veggies.
Momos have a slightly spiced stuffing and are usually served with a hot and spicy red sauce.
Momos have gained huge popularity the world over because of their delicious spicy taste and soft texture. It is simple to make momos at home. Momos must be served hot with a clear soup and you will have a complete meal at your table. This article has step-by-step instructions on how you can make momos at home.
- Begin making momos by first preparing the stuffing. You can use minced chicken, beef or pork to make the stuffing. For this, chop very finely one onion, few green chilies, few garlic cloves and little ginger. You can increase the amount of green chilies if you want your momos to be extra spicy. In a pan, take a little oil and sauté the onions, chilies, garlic and ginger till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the minced chicken or minced pork to this. Let the minced meat sauté in the pan for some time. Add salt, pepper, soy sauce and a pinch of cumin powder. Mix all the spices well with the minced meat. Cook till the minced chicken or meat gets done. Remove from the stove and allow the stuffing to cool.
- To make dumplings, combine 2 cups flour with 1 spoon salt and half teaspoon baking powder. Add about 1/4th cup water and make dough that is slightly firm, but yet smooth and flexible. Roll the dough on a flat surface keeping it medium thick. Use a glass to cut out small rounds from the flat dough.
- Place some stuffing in the center of the small flat dough and work to seal the momo by bringing the edges to the center and sealing it at the center. Momos can either be steamed or fried. For steamed momos, place the prepared momos in a steamer and steam them for 10-15 minutes.
- To make fried momos, heat oil in a frying pan. Deep fry the momos in the hot oil till they turn golden brown. Serve the momos hot with a spicy red paprika sauce.