Children love to carve pumpkins and women love to make a pie out of them at home. Making homemade pumpkin pie is very easy and of course anyone can vouch for the great taste. If you don’t get pumpkin for the pie substitute it with a butternut squash. Follow the instructions carefully.
- Important items – One sweet pumpkin, a pie crust, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract and a little salt.
- Select the best pumpkin – You would need a pie or cheese pumpkin (small, dark orange colored and sweet) for the recipe. Avoid buying the usual jack-o-lantern ones. If nothing, get a canned pumpkin.Store the pumpkin in a cool dry area and avoid refrigeration.
- Prepare the pumpkin – Wash and dry the pumpkin surface. Cut it into two and scoop out the seeds as well as those fibers. Save the seeds for roasting later.
- Cook the pumpkin – Put the pumpkin pieces and a little water in a microwave bowl. Cover and cook on high for fifteen to thirty minutes.You can also steam (thirty minutes) or bake the pumpkin (350 degrees F for one and a half hours).Whatever method you choose the end result should be soft and scoop-able pumpkin from the skin. Scoop and transfer to a bowl.Puree it using a blender.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and warm the pie crust.
- Making the pie mix – Assuming that we have three cups of pureed pumpkin follow these measurements.Beat four eggs using the mixer. In a bowl add the three cups of pureed pumpkin, one cup of powdered sugar, two teaspoons of ground cinnamon, one teaspoon ground ginger, half teaspoon each of ground cloves and salt, one and a half cup of evaporated milk and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add the beaten eggs. Mix well using a mixer.Pour the pie mix into the warm pie crust. Leave a little space on the top. Cover the edges and the exposed area of the crust with aluminum strips.
- Bake for fifteen minutes at 425 degrees F and then reduce to 350 degrees F and bake for one hour.Do the toothpick test (it should come out clean when inserted into the pie).Remove and place it on a rack.Serve warm or cold.
Tips and warnings
- If the pumpkin puree is too watery, then strain it through a cloth or a filter.
- You can freeze the pumpkin puree for later use.
- Add a little water in the baking tray for cooking the pumpkin using the oven method.