Ravioli is an extremely popular variety of pasta stuffed with meat, cheese or veggies. Delicious to taste, ravioli tastes very different and unique from the usual pasta. Ravioli makes for an exotic Italian entrée.
Ravioli is served with warm tomato soup, garlic bread and fresh lettuce salad.
Pre-packaged ravioli is available in most grocery stores, however the taste, flavor and freshness of home-made ravioli are unmatched. Though a little time consuming, home-made ravioli is a treat and your guests will truly enjoy its unique flavor and great textures. This article has step-by-step instructions on how you can make ravioli at home.
- To make ravioli, begin by making the stuffing. For this use a combination of two cheese varieties such as ricotta, parmesan, or cheddar. Chop a little fresh parsley and mix it with the cheese varieties. Add salt and pepper and mix an egg yolk with this mix. Stir all ingredients well together and keep aside.
- Begin making the pasta dough by taking 2 cups flour in a big vessel. Make a well at the centre of the flour heap and break 3 eggs into the centre. Now add a little milk over the eggs. Slowly, incorporate the eggs and flour together by bringing the flour towards the egg mix little by little. Gradually mix in the entire flour with the eggs to form sticky yet firm dough. Knead the dough well for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the dough is ready use a pasta maker to roll it into thin sheets. If you do not have pasta maker use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into thin sheets on your counter-top. Cut the pasta sheets into small rectangles that about 3-4 inches wide.
- Place a little filling in the center of each rectangular pasta. Fold the rectangle sealing it by over-lapping one edge over the other. You can use a little beaten egg to seal the edges of your pasta. Use a fork to further press the edges of the ravioli. This will also create a unique design on the edges of the ravioli making it look neat and professional.
- To cook the ravioli, bring water to boil in a large pot. Boil the ravioli for 3-5 minutes and remove immediately. Serve the ravioli with Mariana sauce and grated parmesan cheese sprinkled over it.