How To Make Stew
Apart from using water, stew can also be made using wine, beer or stock. Herbs and seasoning is used in a stew to increase the aroma and flavor.
Stew is cooked using low heat method. Some people use flour to thicken the stew whereas others don’t. Apart from flour one can also use cornstarch or arrowroot for thickening the stew. Follow our instructions given below to make perfect homemade vegetable and beef stew.
- Ingredients – Oil (olive oil preferred), chopped onion (one large), 3 lbs cut stew beef (preferably chuck), sliced carrots (two-three), one can tomato sauce, garlic powder as per taste, salt and ground pepper as per taste, peeled and cut potatoes (five atleast). And water as usual for the stew.
- Take your largest pot from the cupboard and add enough olive oil. Heat the pot on low.
When the oil is very hot, add the chopped onions. Stir well till the onion changes color to golden brown. Next clean and chop the stew beef. Add this to the browned onion and sauté.
- Continue stirring the meat till it turns into brown color.
When it turns into brown color it is time to add just enough water to submerge the meat and onion pieces. Do not stir and let it simmer for another ten minutes or so. In between if the water level goes down add more water to cover the beef.
- Next clean and cut the carrots. Add the carrot pieces into the pot and add more water to sufficiently cover the ingredients in the pot. Stir once and wait for fifteen minutes.
- The water will be now boiling slowly and the meat will be cooking perfectly. Add the tomato sauce along with garlic powder, salt and pepper as per your taste. Stir the content once and let it cook.
- After ten minutes or so, add the potatoes to this mixture. If the liquid level has come down add a little water to cover the contents.
- In another twenty minutes the potatoes will get cooked, taste the stew and add more salt if needed. Remove from heat and serve hot.