Tea-cake is a traditional snack eaten along with tea or coffee. Soft, fluffy and subtly flavored tea-cakes are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of hot tea or coffee. Every region of the world has its own version of the tea-cake. The basic premise of a tea-cake is that it must be soft and fluffy and must have a wonderful flavor.
Tea-cakes are easy to make and need simple ingredients that are commonly found in one’s pantry. Tea-cakes also make for delightful breakfast items and are loved by kids. Tea-cakes are also great as Holiday treats.
Cut tea-cakes into Holiday-themed shapes such as Christmas tree, snow-man, etc. to make perfect Holiday snacks. Tea-cakes are also highly customizable and you can add flavors to suit your family’s taste-buds. This article tells you the step-by-step method to make tea-cake at home.
- To make an old-fashioned tea cake you will need the following ingredients: 1 cup melted butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 eggs, 3 cups refined flour, 1 tea-spoon baking soda, a pinch of salt, and 1 spoon vanilla extract.
- Begin making the tea-cake by combining the wet ingredients first. For this take melted butter in a bowl and add the sugar. Cream the butter and sugar really well so that it form a homogenous mix. Use an electric blender to cream these two ingredients well.
- After this, break in the eggs and whisk the eggs very well with the sugar and butter. Whisking the wet ingredients is an important step since this determines the texture of your tea-cake. Use a high-speed electric blender to achieve best results so that your tea cake turns out moist and fluffy.
- Next, stir in the vanilla extract and mix it well with the wet ingredients. You can use any flavor of your choice. Vanilla flavor can be substituted with lemon or almond flavor if your family likes it. If you are making a lemon flavored tea cake, add a little grated lemon rind at this stage. This will add immense flavor to your tea cake. You can also make a pineapple flavored tea cake which tastes absolutely delicious. Use pineapple extract in place of vanilla to make this pineapple flavored tea-cake.
- After this, begin mixing the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Add the baking soda and whisk it well. Then begin adding the flour little by little. Whisk well after you add flour each time. Lastly add a pinch of salt and once again whisk all ingredients. You can add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg powder to give your tea-cake great flavor. Knead the dough so that it is smooth. If required you can refrigerate it for an hour so that you can easily roll it.
- Next, pre-heat your oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit. Take the prepared tea cake dough and roll it out on a flat surface using a rolling pin. The dough must be rolled out to a thickness of 1/4th inch. Cut the tea-cakes into desired shapes using a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes till they turn lightly brown on the outer surface.