Tofu, also known as “bean curd” is an excellent source of proteins and calcium, low in saturated fats, and is a boon for vegetarians. Due to its nutritional benefits, it is largely used in various Asian Cuisines.
It is derived from ‘soya bean milk’; hence it has all the goodness of soya protein. It has a soft silken cheese like texture and a bland taste. Although Tofu is available at most of the stores, but homemade tofu is always better, fresh, healthy and nutritious.
Easy , One can easily make tofu at home by curdling soya milk with the help of coagulating agents.
- Ingredients. 2.5 liters of soya milk (to make 500 gms of tofu), 2 teaspoons calcium sulphate, a cloth strainer, a molding container for a shapely tofu. If you don’t have a molding container any square box with holes or an empty milk carton will serve the purpose.
- Boil the soya milk in a sauce pan and let it cool down a bit. Dissolve 2 teaspoons of calcium sulphate in a cup of warm water. Now add this prepared coagulant solution to the boiled soya milk and keep stirring continuously. Allow the coagulated mixture to stand for 20 minutes till it curdles completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare your molding tin by lining it with the thin straining cloth. Once the curdling is done, pour the mixture in the molding box and cover with a heavy weight to give it a perfect and firm shape and press out the water. Keep it in a similar position for at least 20 minutes.
- Once your tofu block is ready keep it in a box full of water and refrigerate for further use. Your fresh, homemade, preservative free tofu can be cubed, cut and ready to be stir fried, grilled, smoked for hundreds of delicious and healthy recipes. Using calcium sulphate as a coagulant makes it a richer source of calcium too. Tofu is easy to digest and helps maintaining healthy levels of cholesterol in the body.
Tips and Warnings
- The longer you leave the weight on tofu, the firmer it will be.
- You can be really innovative with tofu recipes, as it has got no taste of itself and acquires the taste of whatever ingredients it is mixed with.