For cold wintry weather, there is nothing more comforting than a bowl of home-made tomato soup. Packed with anti-oxidants and nutrients, this low-calorie delight is for those who crave for simple yet delicious fare.
You can use this soup to complete a light meal consisting of a sandwich and salad or use it as a starter for an Italian dinner. This article has step-by-step method on how to make tomato soup at home.
- Begin by obtaining about six to eight ripe tomatoes. You can also canned tomatoes to make this soup. Chop the tomatoes roughly. Next, finely chop about one white onion and crush a few cloves of garlic.
- Take a pan and melt about two spoons of butter in it. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped onions and the crushed garlic. Let these sauté for a while. The onions must turn translucent. Ensure the onions do not get browned or your soup can taste bitter.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and let them simmer for a while. Add about 2-3 cups of water to the soup so that the tomatoes cook well. Alternatively, you could also use vegetable stock or chicken stock for added flavor.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper. At this point, you could also add some fresh herbs such as chopped basil for an Italian touch to the soup. Adding Italian seasoning such as oregano, thyme, etc can make your soup taste extremely flavorful.
- Bring the soup to a boil and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes so that the tomatoes release their rich flavor into the broth. Once simmered for 20 minutes, remove the soup from flame and let it cool for a while. To obtain a smooth consistency for the soup, blend it in a food processor to make it a puree.
- Now, pass this puree through a mesh. If you want the soup to taste rich and creamy, add about ½ cup heavy whipping cream to it and mix it well. Serve this delicious soup hot with garlic bread and a lettuce salad.