Baked or fried tortilla chips served with spicy hot salsa sauce or delicious hummus is the perfect recipe for snack time. Making tortilla chips at home is fairly easy especially if you get readymade corn tortillas from the market and they taste amazing as well.
However if you want to make tortilla chips from scratch then the process is mildly challenging. Here are the step by step instructions that will help you make delicious tortilla chips at home.
- For making tortilla chips you will need batches of corn tortillas or flour tortillas, cooking spray, salt, pepper, garlic powder and other seasoning. If you are using readymade tortillas then cut them into six to eight wedges.
- If you plan to make tortillas from the scratch then you will need some masa harina corn flour. Mix it with salt and water and make a thick dough. Roll them into balls and then press the dough balls with a tortilla press or a heavy pan ensuring that they are quite thin. Fry the tortillas till they are a nice golden brown and then allow the tortillas to cool before cutting them into wedges. Instead of corn you can also use flour for making the tortillas.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. In a baking dish spray some cooking oil and then place the tortilla wedges on the baking dish. Make sure that you do not place a lot of wedges at the same time.
- Spray some oil on top and then sprinkle some salt, pepper and garlic powder on the wedges. Bake the tortillas for twelve to fifteen minutes till the tortillas are crisp and slightly brown. Once this is done, remove the tortilla chips from the oven and serve with salsa.
- If you are not concerned about your weight then instead of baking you can also fry the tortilla chips. While frying, make sure that you do so in small batches ensuring that the wedges are in a single layer. Once the tortilla wedges are crisp remove from oil and sprinkle salt and other seasoning on top before serving.