A lot of people think baking a cake takes too long. Well, I have found that cakes are one of the best homemade snacks to make. They can be eaten at breakfast time, for a between the meal snack or served up as dessert with richly flavored icing.
Vanilla cake is one of my personal favorites, mostly because it’s just so simple and quick to make. All it requires is some good quality vanilla essence. The only thing is don’t try to be generous with it. Always add the exact quantity mentioned in the recipe, otherwise your cake may smell great but will end up tasting bitter.
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 45-50 hour
- Ingredients: For this recipe, you will need – 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, ½ cup of granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, ¼ cup vegetable oil, 1 cup of water.
- You will also need an electric mixer and 2 large bowls, one for the sifted ingredients and the other for mixing the batter. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a cake tin with paper. Butter it well. Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt). You want them to be evenly mixed so sifting is better than adding them individually into the batter.
- Cream the sugar, eggs and vanilla essence. Beat in the dry ingredients. To prevent the batter from becoming thick and lumpy, add a little water and oil from time to time.
Once the batter is ready, pour it into the cake tin and place it in the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake is ready when the crust is firm and brown.
- Cool the cake for 5-10 minutes and then turn it on to a metal rack. Slowly remove the paper and allow it to cool completely. This cake keeps for 3 days.
Tips and Warnings
- You can add a little vanilla frosting on top for some real flavor. You will need ¼ cup of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and ¾ cups of icing sugar. Beat the vanilla and butter and add the icing sugar. Beat until consistent and smooth.
- Spread it on top of the cooled cake. Set aside for 1-2 hours.