Tender, juicy and flavorful steak makes for a perfect gourmet lunch or dinner. However, making a tender and flavorful steak requires you to marinate the meat with the right spices and tenderizing agents.
There are many ready-to-use marinades available at grocery outlets – however these lack the flavor and taste of home-made marinades made from fresh ingredients. Marinating a steak with your own signature spices will lend a unique touch to your home-made steak. This article has step-by-step instructions on how to marinate a steak so that it turns out to be juicy, flavorful and delicious.
- To make juicy flavorful steak it is necessary that you chose good quality steak. Low fat cuts such as sirloin are best for marinating. Also, cut your steak into thin slices so that the marinade will penetrate deep inside the meat, making it soft and flavorful.
- However, do remember that the steak should not be sliced too thin or else it may fall apart when it gets grilled.
- All basic marinades will contain an acidic agent combined with flavorful herbs and spices. The acidic agent does the job of breaking down the tough meat muscles and tenderizing the steak, while the herbs, spices and sauces impart flavor. Vinegar, lemon juice, wine, etc are the commonly used acidic agents in a marinade. Yoghurt or buttermilk can also act as meat tenderizers.
- There are various marinades that can be used for a steak. The recipe discussed here infuses many flavors and is a combination of various herbs and spices. To make this marinade, you will need to finely chop one red onion. Then take either fresh basil or thyme leaves and chop them too.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1/4th cup soy sauce with 4 spoons Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup vinegar and mix these ingredients well. To this add salt, pepper, paprika powder, chopped onions, chopped fresh herbs and freshly minced garlic. Once again mix all the ingredients very well.
- Place your steak in a large bowl or in a large Ziploc bag. Now liberally pour the prepared marinade over the steak. Let the steak marinate in this flavorful mix for at least 4 hours. Over-night marinating is recommended for best results.