Fear is one of the gravest dangers to human health. It is considered to be a form of psychological disturbance as it not only limits one’s possibilities but is also known to cause depression and mental dissatisfaction.
Fear may be of many types which have been listed in scientific terminology as ‘phobias’. One may fear darkness, closed spaces, heights, water bodies or even insects! However, these may either have a deep rooted foundation or may be completely harmless! Therefore, it is imperative to understand their basic origins and thus derive a strategy to overcome them.
Overcoming fear is indeed a challenging task and requires ample time. Nonetheless, if accomplished with full concentration, patience and utmost sincerity, it would prove to be a major life changing experience.
- The first step towards this direction involves a thorough analysis of your own self. Try and find out the source of your fear. From where did it originate? Was it owing to a childhood experience? Or are you simply afraid of it because others have told you so? Whatever is the case, search within yourself to determine its root. Once you have gotten hold of it, getting over it would be a child’s play.
- Search for some material related to your fear. For instance, if you fear closed spaces, look up on the Internet for claustrophobia- its causes and consequences. Read about people who had this fear but overcame it with time. Following the example of others would surely help you to gain strength and undermine the invincibility of your terror. Your fear is simply not unconquerable- it can and will be conquered with the passage of time!
- Gather a hold of yourself. Control your thoughts which relate to your fear and destroy them. If possible, try and confront the object of your fear in a direct manner. If you are scared of water bodies, go to a lake and sit by its side for some time. Watch the water flow and realize its harmlessness. This activity would certainly help you train your mind to be in harmony with your fear.
- Inform your family and friends of the aim you are trying to achieve. Tell them of how you are planning to go about it and seek their support. With your loved ones by your side, you will surely be able to face the terror in a better and positive way. Moreover, if in between your ordeal you think of backing out, the expectations of your cherished ones would help you keep away from such a decision.
- Extreme fear is known to have numerous degenerative effects on health. It may primarily affect the subconscious mind and gradually overtake your psychological being. Nevertheless, with strict adherence to the aforesaid instructions, you can definitely defeat the deadliest of fears and thereby lead a mentally free and happy life!