Do you get asked out on dates very frequently by guys who are clearly not your type but haven’t the heart to say ‘No’ because they ask so nicely? Well, you can say ‘No’ just as nicely. Turning someone down does not mean that you are unkind or stuck up.
If you learn how to turn a person down politely, he will normally take it in the right spirit. It may sting a little if he really likes you but let’s not forget that there are plenty of other prospective girls out there he can date, if he wants to. Don’t feel obliged to date him out of pity. Take a deep breath and say ‘No’ if that is really what you want to say.
Here are some simple tips on how to reject a date, without offending the guy asking you out.
- Do not give silly reasons or make excuses. If you are not interested, then just politely tell him that the two of you would be happier as friends. This is a diplomatic way of saying ‘No’ without hurting the guy’s feelings.
- Be straightforward if you are interested in someone else. This might make him feel a little bad but it will pass. Guys respect women who are honest with them so you can be sure he will appreciate an frank reply.
- Start off on the right foot. Never begin with a sentence like ‘A boy like you and a girl like me…’ It is doomed even before you complete it. He will think you are a complete waste of time and regret that he ever liked you in the first place.
- If you have a boyfriend, let him know about your relationship status immediately. Don’t play him for a fool just because you feel good having someone chase after you. Tell him he’s sweet (if he really is) and say you’re flattered. Pay him back a compliment to reduce the tension and make him feel a bit better.
- Don’t send him a text message or reject his offer over the phone. This is not just impolite; it means you don’t care what he thinks. Take the trouble to meet him in person and explain things out. He will thank you for not treating him shabbily.
- The tips given above are meant for good guys. If he happens to be a pest and is persistently calling you, you don’t need to insult him to get the message across. Simply avoid him altogether. Don’t answer his calls, don’t text back and eventually, he will get the message and move on.
Tips and Warnings
- Rejection is always a little hard for anyone to face. However, if he’s only asking you out on a date, then chances are he will get over it soon enough.
- Do not persist about being friends if you feel it might be inappropriate. He may not want to stay in touch with you if he likes you too much. Give him time to forget.
Photo Credit: Suavv.com
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]How To Reject A Person Nicely,