English peas are the soft and tender common green peas that make a popular food in most of the Asian countries. They come in a bright green pod, which has to be shelled to bring out the big round peas. Although these peas are available in cans in the processed form, the delight to shell them and consume them fresh is amazing.
English peas also carry a bagful of nutritional goodness with them. They are rich in proteins, vitamins and fiber too. The low calorie tag of green peas makes them ideal for weight watchers too. English peas can be cooked in ways more than one.
People love to eat them boiled, roasted, sautéed and baked. Roasted English peas are extremely healthy and make an excellent snack for an evening. Although we get roasted peas in packets in the superstores, it is super easy and convenient to roast them at home. Here are a few tips to roast English Peas at home:
- Ingredients: 2 cups of shelled green peas, 1 tablespoon oil, cumin powder, grated garlic, salt, pepper and seasonings, mixing bowl and baking tray.
- Shell the green peas from the pod and discard the pods. Make sure the peas are dry and do not contain moisture with them. Preheat the oven at 350 degree and lightly grease the baking tray. You can also use a cookie sheet to do the baking.
- In a mixing bowl, mix shelled peas with some oil, cumin powder, garlic and other seasonings you wish to add. Mix and toss well. The peas should be marinated and coated well with the spices you mixed in the bowl. You can also keep the peas bowl in refrigerator for a while before placing them in the oven to roast.
- Spread the peas on the baking sheet evenly in a single layer. Let the peas bake or roast for at least an hour in the oven. Check in between and stir in a spoon in the peas to turn them. Make sure the roasting is even and the peas do not get burn. Once done let them cool down for at least 15 minutes.
- Bring the peas out, cool them and store them in an airtight container for further use. Roasted English peas go very well as a munching snack or a side dish as well. It can also be used in a wide number of dishes and recipes.
- Roasted pea Salad: A wonderful nourishing salad can be prepared instantly with your roasted English peas. Add chopped lettuce leaves, bell peppers, diced boiled eggs and mayonnaise to a bowl and mix well. Mix in the roasted peas and add salt and seasonings. The peas add the crunchy taste to this wonderfully nutritious salad bowl.
- Roasted peas in assorted vegetables: Roasted green peas, because of their versatile nature get along very well with all the vegetables. You can mix them in a vegetable casserole or toss them in stir fry comprising of mushrooms, baby corns and peppers. The roasted peas lend a wonderful taste to every dish they are added to. Roasted peas can also be added to various rice to enhance their nutritional value as well as the taste.
Photo Credit: Harvestwizard.com