Modern life style is too hectic and stressful because of which many people don’t get proper sleep at night. People who are not getting proper and sound sleep at night may not feel refreshed in the morning and feel tired and lack enthusiasm to complete their day’s work.
This is because body needs good sleep to repair the body tissues and recover from the stress of a day’s work. One can improve his sleep through good sleeping habits unless he has some serious sleeping problems.
This can be achieved with moderate difficulty and sustainability plays a major role in attaining success.
- First of all a person needs a specific sleeping pattern and for this he must fix a timetable and sleep accordingly. Stick to the wakeup time and this plays an immense role in setting one’s biological clock. This sleeping pattern must be followed on all days including the weekend otherwise it may disturb the biological clock.
- In order to get a sound sleep one must be very comfortable at night and hence take a light dinner at least two hours prior to sleep. This helps to complete the digestion before sleeping and similarly avoid spicy, fatty, oily and all foods that can cause acidity, turbulence and heart burn. Care should be taken to avoid too much of liquid food during the night as it increases the trips to toilet and impair the sleep.
- Regular physical exercises during morning or afternoon hours are ideal to get a good sleep as exercising increases the physical stress on the body and the brain compensate this stress with improved deep and sound sleep. Moreover exercise reduces the stress and muscular tension and promotes sleep while exercising just before bed time makes the people awake.
- There are some stimulants that can keep people awake and some of them are caffeine, alcohol, nicotine etc. Hence smoking, consuming alcohol and coffee may disrupt the sleep, so avoid them at least eight hours prior to sleep.
- Afternoon napping at times emerge as villain and disrupt the night sleep. Hence avoid the napping at day time and if impossible, change the timing of nap to early afternoon and limit the nap time to a maximum of 30 minutes.
- Apart from doing these keep the bed room cool, dark and silent with a comfortable bedding to get a good sleep.